Tank upgrade to semi-aquatic with waterfall!

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by Fiesty, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Fiesty

Fiesty New Member

We currently have our Chinese water dragon in a 100 gallon terrainial tank with a small swimming container, but we would like to upgrade the tank to include a waterfall and larger swimming area. We are considering splitting the tank with plexi glass ornimented with rocks, to create a half aquatic half terrainial tank. For the aquatic side, we are thinking to use a water pump to create the waterfall and are seeking some advice in this. We would like to include underwater moss, but need some advice on the type of moss to use. Also, any suggestions regarding the specifics on setting up the aquatic side, the type of water pumps and filters, aquatic plant types, possible types of fish to add, heat lamps for the winter and some nice quality backgrounds for the whole setup would be most appreciated. Pictures, advice, websites or any suggestions at all are welcome!! Thanks :)

Badger711 likes this.
  2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Cammy

Cammy ReptileBoards Addict

Sounds like a good plan. Water dragons are so much more interesting to watch when given a large water area to splash around in.

The plexiglass divider with rocks attached will work fine, but just make sure when attaching the divider you use a sealant that will work with acrylic and is aquarium safe. On the land side, I would fill most of the bottom with gravel and just do a small layer of sphagnum moss on the top. This way you won't be using a ridiculous amount of substrate every time you change it out. For ease of cleaning, I'd put a sheet of solid rubber shelf liner (non adhesive, no holes) over the gravel layer so you don't have little bits of substrate falling down in the gravel bed. Try to find some sort of rock, wood, or aquarium decor piece that can reach over and into the water from the land side. CWDs love to sit on a perch suspended over the water, and also like to sit in shallow areas of the water as well.

The waterfall can be created a few ways. You can buy a filter that is made to look like a waterfall, which will be the easiest way to go. Here is a link to a premade filter which uses the reptofilter, which I have used with turtles and does a great job of keeping the tanks clean. There are also some DIY methods to make your own waterfall if you are feeling particularly ambitious. You'll have to google DIY waterfall filters as I don't know the specifics on those.

Christmas moss and java moss are the go-to easy-to-care-for aquatic mosses that I know of. Easy aquatic plants include anubias nana, anacharis, and java fern.

Fish are not a good idea for keeping with water dragons. Anything the lizard can catch will be considered food. I would stick with feeder guppies and minnows.

A CHE is a good night heat source for diurnal lizards. They emit heat but not light. The wattage needed will depend on your house temps. As long as it's not falling below 65F at night, you don't really need a nighttime heat source.

Amazon and pretty much any store that carries fish will also carry aquarium backgrounds. That's really a matter of personal taste. You could do a DIY foam/quikrete/epoxy background, again if you are feeling ambitious.

Keep in mind that a 100 gallon is still too small for an adult water dragon, so I wouldn't spend too much money on this setup seeing as you will be spending a lot more when it comes time to build the adult enclosure. (An adult water dragon needs a minimum of a 6x3x6' cage, plus the large water area--you won't be able to buy a standard tank/cage that large and will have to build something yourself or pay someone to build one for you.)

Phew. Sorry if that was a little long winded. I hope I covered everything you asked about. If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask. Welcome to the boards!

Badger711 and JEFFREH like this.
  4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Fiesty

Fiesty New Member

Thank you Reid and Cammy for your fast and detailed responses!! We are happy to be a part of the forum :) we have much to think about, and will be back with more questions I'm sure! Thanks again :)

JEFFREH likes this.
  6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Badger711

Badger711 Member

As far as the silicone goes, I know positively that GE silicone I, as well as II are both safe to use. Make sure they are the window and door ones though, the kitchen and bath include mold inhibitors which, well, kill mold. Thus not reptile-safe. I used Silicone II for my frog tank, and it's worked out fine. I tend to discourage multi-species/communal tanks due to the issue of disease, husbandry differences, and the dragons will eat them, as stated above. If you'd like a link for a DIY waterfall/background, here's the build thread for my frog vivarium; it's pretty much step-by-step.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. brianah

brianah Embryo

u should give him lots of plants to climb on i know thats what my gecko likes to do!!!!!!!!!!