Tarantulas

Discussion in 'General Discussion and Introductions' started by medusa, Dec 9, 2004.

1. medusa

medusa New Member

Does anyone on this site have a lot of knowledge about tarantulas? could use some advice on a new acquisition.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. EvilSquish

EvilSquish New Member

What kind were you looking at getting? The easiest to take care off, for all levels including beginner, is the Rosie.. nice looking spider, doesn't get too big, and there's not a whole lot of high maintenance required...b est of all, they can usually be handled easily.

If you want ornamental, get a bird eater or something that gets big.. man they're a blast to watch. :)

I'm using a 10 gal tank, which some say is an overkill but I like the height it gives my spiders (I have 2) and for substrate in one tank I'm using forest bark and in the other I'm using potting soil.. doesn't seem to make a big difference to my spiders and they are nice and active and healthy.
    I keep their humidity kinda low, maybe 20% or so, and I have had no troubles, but different types of tarantulas might need specific care depending on where they're from.
    My critters like their bugs and they get about 5 every other day, sometimes they ravage their food so I give them some extra, and on the rare occassion, they'll get a live pinky. That fills them up for about a week or so.. ofcourse not every spider has the same appetite, so meals may vary.

Ofcourse, with all tarantulas, keep a shallow water bowl.. they don't much care to end up swimming in their drink, and declorinate the water if u can. I usually do a reptivite or similiar cricket or bug coating every other feeding too, but not a biggie if u miss one or 2.

Ofcourse like I said, there's a billion types of tarantulas (hehe, well not really, but a lot) and they vary in size, attitude, and enviromental needs, so keep this in mind when u find something you like.

Hope this was somewhat helpful.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. medusa

medusa New Member

I already bought a spider last week but I'm now a little worried because someone has told me its a very aggressive species. It's a goliath, she's a baby and up to now I've had no problem with her. I know she's going to get very big. This guy has put me off a bit because he said its a dangerous spider that could attack for no reason. I treat all my animals with respect for what they are - but just how dangerous is it?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. baby

baby New Member

From my experience with tarantulas, regardless of the species, they will not bite without provocation. I don't know much about goliaths, but I still wouldn't worry too much if I were you. Especially since you have her as a baby, she should grow up to be pretty docile towards humans and especially towards you (they know who feeds them-lol). Handle her when she wants to be handled, and let her be otherwise. Do not give her any reason to bite, and I'm sure she will turn into a wonderful addition to your home!

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. medusa

medusa New Member

well she's been fine up to now, I'm quite taken with her. I don't plan to handle her unless I have to. I'm going to get a big vivarium for her when she grows, she'll be quite something.

Thanks for the replies!

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. EvilSquish

EvilSquish New Member

Goliaths are awesome animals and their size makes them very enjoyable to watch. They can be somewhat skittish but aren't known to be as aggressive as other species of tarantulas, what makes them a bit of a problem is their sheer size when they get big.. if they do bite u, they have big teeth, and that hurts... but as baby said, without provocation they're not generally prone to bite... if u plan on handling her, place a hand slowly infront of her and just tap her butt to motivate her onto your hand.. done gently enough you'll have no problems.
    I love spiders as a whole and they all have their own personality... grow with your spider to have a great time together, and you'll have very little problem with her.