Temps

Discussion in 'Boas' started by Ryan1990, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Ryan1990

Ryan1990 Well-Known Member

I've recently changed from a heat mat to a CHE in my boa's tank and just want to check the temps are right.
    The general air temps in the middle are sitting around 25-26C (sorry, no F reading on thermometre), the tile surface directly under the CHE is around 28-31C and the cool end is around 22C... I also have a long log that part of it goes under the CHE (which is protected by a guard) and the surface temp of this log is around 34-35C.
    So my question is are these temps ok? Do snakes need a "basking" spot as lizards do or is warm end and cool end sufficient? Also is the log too warm? Its only a very small portion of the log that gets this warm (around 5" if its length) which is under the CHE. Are the surface temps of the tile too cool? I've also got some aspen bedding to give him something to hide in and to soak up some of the fluid that comes out with his poop but if I put this under the CHE it means the tile surface won't heat up as much but will he get the warmth he needs from above and the air? The CHE at max only produces surface temps of about 31C so should I get a higher wattage (controlled by thermostat) for the winter or use the heatmat on the side/top to help it out a bit? Ok one last question... mainly aimed at bruno as I think he's used cornish crispa website before. If I stop using the CHE now can I send it back and swap it for the higher wattage one?
    Must say the CHE works well at heating my super worms which are sitting above it on top of the viv :blink: lol.
    I hope this makes sense and someone can clear things up for me.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. bruno

bruno Moderator

All your temps sound fine, as they sense heat from above the tile temp is not important.
    I think you already know my viv is very tall 5ft, so use a 250w ceramic, this works well through out the year. My two adults very often get into the tub thats sunk into floor, hence in effect outside the viv and it's pretty cool in there, they simply climb up or down to regulate their temps.
    31C at top of viv around lamp.

Regards CornishCrispa, I doubt if they will swap it.
    Here's part of their "Conditions of Use"
    Wont let me copy/paste, but says.
    "Any use of the delivered goods beyond that necessary to inspect the goods on delivery with invalidate your right to cancel"
    Unless faulty you are stuck with it.

If you haven't seen my setup, here it is.
    [​IMG]

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Ryan1990

Ok thats great thanks Bruno :blink:
    I did think about your setup and thought it might be the case, must say again I love your viv... wish I had the space to do something like that.
    I've just lowered the CHE about an inch which has given me a temp of about 34 on the tile surface but it means I can reduce it with the thermostat meaning the right temps can be achieved even if the room temps are cooler and if need be will get a reflector to direct the heat a bit better aswell (should keep cool end cooler aswell).
    I'll post a pic of my setup so you can give it a thumbs up or thumbs down lol.
    Thanks again :lol:

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. bruno

bruno Moderator

Personally I dont use reflectors with CHE's or MVB's, I have found the heat buildup inside the reflector shortens the life of the CHE, it would also reduce the heat to cool end quite significantly.
    You would also have to make a guard to accomodate the reflector, which would make it very large. Even if you left reflector unguarded and che protected the heat on it would be sufficient to burn.
    Just a thought.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Ryan1990

Good point actually, I did wonder that but thought about testing it out but now you've confirmed it'll be a waste of money I won't bother :blink: might just have to use a small spot bulb or something a long with it in the winter... I'll figure it out when the time comes.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. bruno

bruno Moderator

You could always buy a second CHE higher wattage, and just use it in winter if needed.

That pic of mine is old and the temps are now controlled by the Lucky Reptile ThermoControl PRO.
    Its an on/off type but the functions it will do make it very versatile.

HERE

been very impressed with it so far.

One think I had to do, was to turn off that ***** alarm, everytime it changed from day and night it went off, most annoying... :blink: