The Beast wont stop eating...why?!

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by Pima, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Pima

Pima New Member

Ok not that im upset about her/him wanting to eat a lot. when we got her, we were told she wont eat the CGD and since neither local pet store has it, i have it ordered and should be here early in the week. She likes the crickets. So i dust them to get all the nutrients she needs. heres the thing. ive had to ask people and im here asking again. she is a baby, how mush should she be eating? I started calling her a beast because she will eat ANYTHING. I feel like im starving her. Shes been getting 2 crickets a night and she does not waste anytime! Cricket goes in, with in 20 seconds, shes already eaten it and looking for more...we throw in the 2nd and same thing... GONE! I will say this, shes a great hunter. However, i put my hand in there to clean up some droppings, and she went after my fingers AFTER eating 2 crickets. I just went to check her temps and had my hand on top of tank and she watched it and tried to even get it. Is this normal for babies? I have to clean her tank out today (change towels at bottom), and i dont know if i should feed her 3 so i can grab her with out her grabbing me first. lol. im telling you, shes a BEAST! Ill buy her 200 crickets a week if i knew shed eat them, but really, how much/often should this be happening? and she will be eating the cgd when it gets here, i worry she is not going to get all the nurishment and itll effect her as an adult.
    She also stares at us when we are in the same room as her.. and has tried to get me through the glass... is she hungry or just plain crazy?!

She is in a 20Long tank,
    temp is 75-80
    humidity is 50-60
    papertowel is substrate

Really, am i missing something. I worry that im over feeding her, but she is very active, and i feel bad when she is trying to get me, as if she is hungry. tell me what im supposed to do before its to late.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Lol she sounds like a VERY active little gecko! I try not to feed my reptiles in their tanks just for the reason that they will associate my hand coming into their tank with food and may go after my hand (that was engraved in my brain after being bitten by my friends Red Tail Boa... ugh). So I tend to feed any of my live feeders to my geckos in a bowl I place in their tanks or in a critter keeper.

Also, I would feed her until she stops eating... try not to limit her too much, especially when she's so young.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Pima

Pima New Member

Stickypaws, thank you.. SO MUCH!!! We dont put the food in with hands. we drop them in from a baggie (for coating until the CGD comes). I just worried that id over feed her, and we dont want that at all. She is just always hungry. weve been giving her 2 every night since we got her a week ago. she just KEEPS EATING lol. We have named her Venom (not sure if he or she yet) because shes an evil lil thing sometimes. but we cleaned her tank yesterday (bc of papertowels and dont want them to get yucky from the spraying), and she was totally cool with it, like she knew what we were doing. she jumped right on me and climbed right out then jumped right in to the critter keeper and stayed there watching us while we did our thing. when we put her back in, she basically walked through the whole tank to make sure every rock was there, every plant, even the cave and branch. Im telling you, she is so strange. like a baby or small child would check their stuff. of course right after that, she did some dropping lol. this morning we woke up to what we thought were shredded paper towels to realize she had shed. checked her out, through the glass, everything came off clean. How often will they shed? just so we know. every time ive seen it online, its a new answer never the same one as found before.
    Again, i thank you for letting me know this is normal and she can eat til she says she is done. i will not worry anymore.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Lol she sounds like she's got a great little personality :)

As far as frequency of shedding - obviously a lot more when they are younger and it tapers down a lot when they are full grown... never really payed attention to the frequency of it, sorry :)