The difference between a ball python and a children's python

Discussion in 'Other Pythons' started by Storm, Dec 5, 2005.

1. Storm

Storm New Member

Hi All. I know this is going to sound really naive but i was curious as to know if there are any major differences between a ball python and a children's python. Or maybe a corn snake?
    I've been to a few pet stores around my local area and i haven't actually seen a ball python or corn snake. Are they easy to get in Australia?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. improvius

improvius New Member

Well they look totally different, for one thing. You shoudl be able to google up some pics pretty easily to tell you that much. In terms of temperment, I think balls tend to be a little more shy than Children's. But both are very docile.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. avd88

avd88 New Member

Well I dont know much about childrens python, but they are spotted, while normal ball pythons have gold and brown almost black pattern

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. improvius

improvius New Member

Oh, sorry, I missed the Australia part. Balls and corns would be imports, so you really can't get them in Australia. Your country has VERY strict laws about importing animals. Unless you're a zoo or biology department, forget about it.

A Children's or spotted (Mac) python would be your best bet.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Storm

Storm New Member

Yeah from what i've read in other forum's both the childrens python and the ball python sounded about the same temperment.
    In Australia we have to get a special license to keep snakes, lizards and spiders. The Government are pretty strict about how the
    animals are kept and what not. I know we can get green tree python's and i think i might have seen an olive python. Can't remember ;)
    I have seen pictures of ball pythons....i'm actually getting a children's python next year after my holidays. I was just curious, thanks
    for all the help :) It really is appreciated.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Bakes

Bakes New Member

Here's some pics for you Storm.

This is my Childrens, Bob.
    [​IMG]

And a wild Olive. Caught trying to eat a puppy.
    [​IMG]

and a Black headed python.
    [​IMG]

12. Storm

Storm New Member

Those pictures are GREAT, thanks Bakes. How old is Bob? What substrate do you have in the bottom of his cage?
    What do you do with the snakes that you catch?

13. Bakes

Bakes New Member

Bobs about 3 years old. I have round smooth aquarium gravel in the bottom. Those snakes were caught by my mate. He is the local contracted snake catcher and the snakes he gets called out for are relocated back into the bush.

14. reako45

reako45 Member

If you do get a Children's you're probably going to have your work cut out for you for about the first year. I've got an '05 female childreni and she's a little biting machine :evil: . I've heard and read they calm down after a year. Whether this is fact or fiction, I'll know for myself in ac ouple of months. LOL!

reako45

15. Storm

Storm New Member

Hey Reako45......it's funny you look at a snake and think that there can't be too much to know about keeping and feeding and handling
    and everything else but the more you read and ask you begin to realise keeping a pet as a snake isn't as easy as it looks. I think people
    with lots of experience make it look easy ;)
    Does it hurt when your snake bites you? Do they usually let go as soon as they've bitten you?

16. Bakes

Bakes New Member

Bob tagged me yesterday ;) It was my fault. He was in his hidy hole and I tried to get him out with a mouse. He was only comming half way out and I reached in to grab him and he hit me. He drew blood but it doesn't hurt. The big thing is to try not to pull your hand away as you may break teeth (or so I've been told) :wink:

17. Storm

Storm New Member

Hi Bakes. How ya doing? What do you mean when you say "tagging"?

18. Bakes

Bakes New Member

He bit me :wink:

19. Storm

Storm New Member

i figured that.....is there any warning what so ever that your snake is going to bite? And why do you call it tagging?

20. Bakes

Bakes New Member

Bob will coil back in a S shape before he strikes. They are quick little buggers :)

Tagging comes from my job. I'm a Guard dog handler in the RAAF and when one of us gets bitten we call it getting tagged. ie Davo's dog tagged me last night :shock: :D

21. Storm

Storm New Member

Do you feed Bob in his tank or do you take Bob out and put him in something else?
    Now tagging makes more sense to me....i read a lot of posts in here and there is just so much different
    lingo sometimes it's hard to understand :)
    I was pretty excited last night as i got home and i had a letter. The letter was my wildlife license! Yay!
    Which means after my holidays in Feb i'm going to get my snake. I'm pretty excited about it all *hehehe*

22. Bakes

Bakes New Member

I usally lift him up on the rock face to feed. Only this time I reached in with the smell of mouse on my hands. I don't understand all the lingo yet either :) All this talk about hypo's and such :D

Congrats with the licence. I get mine soon as well. You don't need one here in the NT for a childrens python, only a recipt from the dealer. But soon I'll be the owner of a Darwin carpet hatchling.......then comes the olive 8)

23. Storm

Storm New Member

Oh so you feed Bob in the tank? Cool....i might see how i go feeding the snake in the tank, if that doesn't work
    out they come. :) I'm assuming it's easier to clean the tank with the snake out of it.....do you take the snake out
    of the tank when it's in the middle of shedding or should you wait?
    I hope you don't mind me picking your brains *hehe* :)
    Thanks. So you only need a license for certain snakes? Over here we have "Basic" license and "Advanced" license
    and then i think there might be another one. Can't remember.
    You only have Bob at the moment? What's a Darwin Carpet like? Bigger i'm assuming.

24. Bakes

Bakes New Member

Not many brains to pick there mate. I'm very new to snakes as well. I spot cleaned his cage this morning and just lifted him up in the wall again. I put him on the wall every time I handle him. Gives him some exercise when he climbs down. :) I only have bob, and a Darwin is put away for me at the moment and I'm making plans for an Olive and I wouldn't mind a Bredli as well down the track.

I don't have any pics but there are some here.

http://aussiepythons.com/PNphpBB2-viewtopic-t-14706.html

25. Storm

Storm New Member

Well i know you have a lot more knowledge than me :)
    Those pic's are pretty cool. Do you mind me asking you a personal question.....if not it's ok.
    Just wondering if you lived in Australia? How dd you get into snakes?