The Kindness of a Human Heart

Discussion in 'Rainbow Bridge' started by Daggerlover, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Daggerlover

Daggerlover Well-Known Member

I want to tell you a story about STEVE and ART from the Calgary SPCA's Crematorium; as well as a wonderful Calgarian whom I am honored to call my friend. We really want these guys to be recognized. Everyone knows how hard it is to lose a pet that is a family member.

A few weeks ago (August 5), I had to have my bearded dragon put down. Flint was my Baby, he meant more to me than any pet ever has, and I've had pets for my entire life... When I went to have him put down, I was so upset that I felt I couldn't stay in the room with him when they put him down. So they took him and I left.

Later that evening, I received a comment that had me worried about weather or not they ACTUALLY put Flint down. I called the vet office to ask about their practices and was told that they put the animals down, and if they're not being privately cremated, they send them to the SPCA for bulk cremation after they put enough animals down for a bulk shipment.

I still wasn't sure if that was the case or not (unfortunately I suffer an anxiety disorder and these thoughts do not go away easily [please leave that part out if you decide to air this]) but was afraid to call the SPCA to see if they'd received him or not because if they hadn't I would be wrecked...

So a friend of mine, Jessica, called the humane society. And she was put through to Steve at the Crematorium, and Steve explained the way it worked to her, and said that he hadn't received Flint yet, but that he hadn't made a pick up at the vet clinic in question in a few weeks either. He took her number.

Later that day, Steve called Jessica to tell her he went to the vet clinic and picked up Flint (as a special trip - completely out of his way!), and had set him aside in case I wanted to see him. Jessica gave me his number and I called and left him a message, tearfully thanking him for the lengths he went to and telling him to just go ahead with the cremation and that I didn't think I could handle seeing him again...

Wasn't that nice of Steve?

It gets better!

Yesterday (August 21).... Steve called Jessica to tell her that he and his co-worker had been touched by my story, and touched by Jessica going out of her way to make sure I had some peace of mind, and so they (Steve & Art) did a private cremation of Flint (which costs $140+urn) out of their own pockets. They put him in a little white box for me and they got me a little card! When Jessica called me, tears flooded down my cheeks out of pure overwhelmed joy at their kindness.

It's not often someone will go out of their way THAT much, and then to go that extra mile on top of all of it.

I still tear up thinking about the overwhelming kindness of these folks. It is good to know that we still have wonderful, amazing people in our society.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. tkiller

tkiller New Member

I just wanted to say that it is very heartwarming and it really makes me feel a lot better about society in general to know that there are still people like that out there. I am very sorry for your loss, but I'm also very happy for you that someone cared enough to do that for you. Actually made me tear up a little bit at work, lol... Thanks for posting this :)

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Daggerlover

Daggerlover Well-Known Member

Tonight I picked up Flint's Ashes. Here is the urn they picked out and purchased for me. It is perfect. I cried when they gave it to me.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. kephy

kephy Moderator

Dagger, I hadn't checked this forum in a while, and I didn't know you had lost Flint! I am so, so sorry for your loss, I know he meant so much to you.

The crematorium we work with in Colorado is pretty amazing, too. I'm eternally grateful for the service they provide.