The most social herp?

Discussion in 'General Discussion and Introductions' started by Venzor, Feb 18, 2004.

1. Venzor

Venzor New Member

Just curious, what herp would probably be considered the most social with humans? Something that loves to be held or petted... I guess essentially a "dog" :)

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. lacerta

lacerta Member

There is just no comparison between a dog and a reptile in regards to how each one views their owner. Now, I'm not suggesting that one is "better" than the other. Some folks enjoy the attention they get from their canines. I must admit it is endearing to have an animal acknowledge you with unbounded affection and to lavish copious amounts of saliva all over your face. As a social animal, a dog regards himself and you as members of the pack, you being a senior member, from whom he seeks praise and approval. I hate to break it to you, but I don't think you'll ever get the same kind of affection from a reptile. To a lizard or snake you are, at best, a provider of food who is not regarded as a threat. That, I think, is about the highest compliment you'll recieve if your iguana or bearded dragon could talk. As far as enjoying being handled, I think reptiles "tolerate" it, some better than others. My bearded dragons perk up when they see me. It is fun to think that "gosh, they really love me" and to give them names and speak to them (in hushed tones). But the reality is that they get excited to see me because they associate my presence with getting a handout. They love being handled, but again their enthusiasm is maintained by the hand that keeps passing them that crunchy mealworm, or juicey cricket. As soon as they got that full tummy and warm lamp over their back, they could care less about my presence and probably would prefer to be left alone. But, you know what? I don't expect affection from my reptiles because I view them as fascinating creatures in their own right. I find it rewarding to be able to provide a healthy safe habitat and proper husbandry to bring out their best appearance and the most natural behaviour. I spend much time outdoors observing wild reptiles. To keep reptiles in my home as subjects of study (and, yes, dare I say "pets") is to maintain that connection with the natural world and all its diversity. I realize people keep reptiles and other animals for all sorts of reasons. My interests, no doubt, are not the same as others. Some people view them as "living art". I can appreciate that. How can you hold a scarlet kingsnake and not be overcome by a sense of awe over its incredible beauty. But I will never be deluded into thinking that I'll develop the same depth of relationship with my lizards as I have with my two dogs. I heard it said once that the best pets are those species whose counterparts in the wild are social animals. Humans are social animals also and I think that is why we hit it off so well with animals like dogs. (House cats are a different story, they are an ecological terror and should be banned in an enlightened society). Are there social reptiles ?? Some do live in family groups. I haven't kept nowhere near the number of species that others have so my opinions are purely my own. Of all reptiles I have kept, I probably enjoy my bearded dragons the most. They seem to maintain a level of awareness I don't find in other species. Particularly in their ability to make eye contact, and to continually scope out there surroundings. They also actively engage in various head and hand gestures to express dominance/submission. I find these social behaviors fascinating. And because they can be such gluttons, they provide plenty of opportunity for hands on interaction during feeding sessions. The bearded dragon gets my vote. :wink: George

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Venzor

Venzor New Member

Wow, thanks for such a profound post! Definitely reminds me of my original interest in snakes, which I have somewhat overlooked : But thanks for a great response :)