Thin Cresty pls help.

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by Geckonator, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Geckonator

Geckonator Embryo

I got a juvenile Cresty a couple of weeks ago, the first night he ate almost all the CGD I gave him and he had some off my finger too. Since then, most of the CGD is left over the next morning and he has gotten thinner, I handle him every night before I put his food in the tank, he hasn't eaten from my hand/finger again. My mom suggested that it could be because he hasn't acclimatized yet and that I should just let him be (no handling) for a week or so. I realize these kinds of questions and concerns are common but I'm still really scared that something might happen to him. :(

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. tyler12

tyler12 New Member

i think you should just let him be in his cage for maybe another week or so b4 you handle him again and just keep his cage clean and keep fresh cgd and water in there for him. and i hope he gets better. :)

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Any update? Has he been eating for you again?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Geckonator

Geckonator Embryo

I tried him on some mushed-up fruit and fed it to him off of a stick, he seemed to like it. he ate quite a bit but I'm not sure if he'll touch CGD yet....should I try mixing CGD in with the fruit?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

If he was eating the fruit that's definitely helpful (means he is feeling well enough to at least be interested in food). But don't mix the CGD with fruit b.c it throws off the balance of the nutrition and then your gecko won't be getting what he really needs. Just make sure you're properly mixing the cgd with water to a "gel-like" consistency (50:50 mix of CGD and water) and leave a small water bottle cap of it in the tank and change it out every night for the next couple of nights. I saw put a really small amount in there because then you will at least be able to notice if he's been eating it... a lot of times people mix it in a large bowl and the crestie has to eat so little of an amount people don't even think they are eating, lol.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Geckonator

Geckonator Embryo

ok, thanks for the advice! I was curious about where I should place the food though...he spends alot of time climbing in his leaves and I usually place his food dish on the ground tucked behind a piece of wood or something (just so he can feel more secure when he's eating).

12. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

That's absolutely perfect. Even though they spend 90% of their time up in the foliage they do come down to the ground to follow their noses to food :(
    (in the wild they come down to scavenge for bugs if they haven't found enough fruit up in the trees or to find a tasty bit of rotting fruit on the forest floor)

13. Geckonator

Geckonator Embryo

I figured it was about time to upload some pictures...this is his tank (with fog)
    IMG_2044.JPG
    This is him..well, the front half anyway
    IMG_2047.JPG
    On the move...
    IMG_2048.JPG
    Exploring me...
    IMG_2049.JPG
    this one's just to give a better idea of his size.
    IMG_2051.JPG
    I know it may be hard to see it but he has gotten a bit thinner since I got him I don't think it's become an emergency yet but I wanted to catch any problems early... Also any idea what Morph he is? I think he's flame/dalmatian but I'm not sure
    here is a picture of just after I got him (it's a bit clearer)
    IMG_0057.JPG
    oh and I named him Ziggy.

14. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Very cute name :) And I think you're spot on with the morph... dalmatian flame... possibly part pinstripe too because of the raised light colored "pin-striping" down his back...
    the tank looks very nice and if you wanted to you could save space on your desk/drawers by putting the tank up on it's side so it's quite tall... cresties spend a lot of time up in the trees so they're comfortable up high. Just a suggestion! Looks really good :)
    Oh, is the fogger on all the time or just twice a day?

15. Geckonator

Geckonator Embryo

I put the fogger on twice a day for about 15 min each. I would like to give him a bit more climbing area but I'm not sure how I would keep the lid on properly and stop him from getting out. He still won't touch the CGD but eats fruit just fine...

16. tyler12

tyler12 New Member

mine is doing this to she loves mango but only barley eats the cgd!