Think my light is too strong..

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by Greg2k6, Sep 3, 2006.

1. Greg2k6

Greg2k6 New Member

I just got an 150wat basking bulb from my friend who had it lying around from his iguana, but that thing is hot as ****, I lowered his reptihammock and he still like just goes in and out of the basking spot, he will climb on the branch on the other side of the tank and just watch me on my computer :)

well, now, he seems to be getting used to it, he keeps looking up at lol and moving around in the hammock.

Hes in a 30 gallon tank as of now, ah yes he is eating, finally. the heat makeshim hungry and also helps him digest right?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. stevenk

stevenk Embryo

i think a 150 watt basking bulb would be way too hot for a 30 gallon tank, it would be really hard to create the proper sort of heat gradient needed. i would suggest probably like a 75 watt for such a small tank, i'm not quite sure what the proper wattage would be though, the recommended tank size for a juvenile iguana is a 55 gallon tank which will most likely be outgrown after it is a year old. you should probably get an in-tank thermometer, you can get a good one for fairly cheap, and check out the temps yourself and make sure the hot and cool sides are at the proper temps.

uva lighting is good getting iguanas to eat because they see things differently in the uva spectrum, but you also need a uvb bulb in there for him to digest food properlly and utilize the calcium in it. if no uvb bulb is present metabolic bone disorder and death are certain to occur eventually.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

The size of the tank and the fact that it is glass means that size bulb is way too hot and too close to the ig. They should be able to get the heat they need while being as far as 8-10 inches away from the bulb and in a 30 gallon, that's almost to the bottom.
    But first and foremost, the tank is too small for even a hatchling iguana to live in and you really need to get a thermometer in there. And not an aquarium thermometer. A digital would be ideal and you can get them pretty cheap.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Greg2k6

Greg2k6 New Member

meh well he seems to be doing quite fine, I have the light hanging a couple inches over the actual tank and my iggy seems to find it comfortable, he eats all the time and his poops are effin huge lmao.

He eats regulary everyday and drinks.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. RMS2005

RMS2005 Embryo

I eat and drink everyday to but that doesnt mean im happy...

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. brandon2212

brandon2212 New Member

DUDE, I dont even have an IG, i am looking into getting one! But get him out of that tank! How would you feel couped up in a 3ft by 3ft room all the time? its pritty much the same thing! And my suggestion, dont go out and buy a 55 gal. tank either make one or order one because that iguana is gunna ENORMOUS! I think maybe you should have read about the iguana before purchasing it!

12. brandon2212

brandon2212 New Member

gunna *GET* ENORMOUS! lol