1. Eublepharis_macularius

Eublepharis_macularius New Member

Just found out that I can't get a snake. What's a good second pet? I already have a leo.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. _Devastate_

_Devastate_ New Member

RE: Thinkin

Corn snake.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. iloveherps

iloveherps Member

Ball python!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. lindsey22

lindsey22 New Member

what kind of housing can you provide? how big do you want your reptile to get? im mean you can get a bearidie or an anole...the possibalities are endless..what kind of reptile can you afford and take proper care off. why cant you get a snake?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Rocky

Rocky Member

lol..if you could get one...Ball Python!!!

But thats not the case. I would say a bearded dragon! Are you looking for a lizard, gecko, turtle, frog?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. TrillionX

TrillionX Member

RE: Re: Thinkin

giant day gecko and the best part of all it can be housed with your leo if you have a big enough enclosure

12. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

I say get a beardie if you can handle the housing and costs. Or maybe try for a different species of gecko. Or a water dragon.

13. BigZ3788

BigZ3788 Well-Known Member

TrillionX a Giant Day can MOST CERTAINLY NOT be housed with a leo! Cresties are very nice to go with beside leos. Days also require very specific and getile care.

14. TrillionX

TrillionX Member

bigz they can and they will! nuff said my word is law! lol jking the combo giant day and leo can be pulled off and i dont think cresties are good you need to much space correct me if im wrong

15. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

Lol yeah you're wrong :) Cresties need a tall enclosure but a 20gal would suit. They have very simple care. Much simpler then a Giant Day gecko.

16. field_hockey_gal

field_hockey_gal Well-Known Member

How can it be pulled off? Day geckos need moderate high humidity (live in a rainforest), while leos need low (with a humid hide) I don't really know alot about these two geckos but I do know that. And is it a really good idea to mix different geckos?

Crested geckos are a really good starter lizard if you want something small and not expensive to keep. As an adult the need a minimum 20 gal tall. Not that big.

If you want something bigger - beardie, or water dragon. Smaller check out any of the geckos, or anoles

17. BigZ3788

Trillion it is not a good idea to keep any different species of reptiles together. A day gecko needs much more humidity than a leo, including a verticle setup. I think thats what you meant by a large enclosure, but it would then be very very big and impractical. It would need to be the size of a 20 gal long and a 20 gal tall. Also if the day were to come into contact with the leo, the leo could seriously injure it due to there very thin skin.

18. TrillionX

TrillionX Member

good points all of you. it can be pulled off thats all i know. i also agree tht you shouldnt house 2 species together and i know cresties can live in 20 gals but doesnt that seem a bit small? to me it does especially when i can get a 38 gal for 15-30 dollars

19. BigZ3788

where are you getting a 38 gal for $15?

20. Spot

Spot ReptileBoards Addict

Trillion, are you confusing a crestie with some other species? They don't get much bigger than a leo and it's a gecko too, so if a leo can live comfortably in a 20 gal, so wld a crestie, but in the crestie's case, since they're arborial, height is required. The nice thing about cresties is you don't need artificial heat. They do fine in room temp with a bit of humidity.

21. pullinapete

pullinapete Member

I also would like to know where you can get a 38gal for $15... and ya Cresties are awesome and very easy to keep

22. TrillionX

TrillionX Member

lol whoops for some reason i thought cresties were twice as big lol my bad i dont know what i was thinking ive seen pics of cresties before...

23. TrillionX

TrillionX Member

when i say 38 gall i mean the ones that are screen but ive seen a 50 gall for 10 bucks soooo yaaaaa. you can probably find the screen one at reptile shows and conventions they are really cheap but the glass 50 gal for 10$ you wont find at a convention i saw it at a garage sale i think they are the best to get enclosures from

24. CycloneHWT

CycloneHWT New Member

I say if you have the time money and room, a bearded dragon is a very rewarding reptile. If you dont want to spend a ton of money on upkeep and still want something faily socialable that isnt a leo... i would go with the crested gecko

25. KAOSRacing

KAOSRacing Member

As someone who started with bearded dragons and then got interested in crested geckos, I'd say go with a crestie. Beardies take a lot more room and eat MUCH more.

I feed my 3 beardies, roughly 6 to 7 months old, 30 to 50 crix a day each plus their "salads". I feed my 2 cresties, somewhere between 4 and 6 months old I'm guessing, 3 crix 3 times a week plus they eat less than 1/2 a teaspoon of baby food total a day.

Cresties don't require special lighting and as long as your room temp is in the mid 70's don't require any extra heat. They do require more humidity but a liberal spraying of water into the enclosure a couple times a day with a spray bottle typically covers that. Beardies need a misting once a day to keep them hydrated.

Don't get me wrong, I love my beardies but they are more "resource demanding" than my cresties.