Thinking about an Iguana

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by CoyoteNG, Jan 15, 2007.

1. CoyoteNG

CoyoteNG New Member

My roommate and I are interested in getting an Iguana to share our room. Theres a bunk bed and a few tanks in the room,and I was wondering if anyone has had an ig living in just a bedroom, or if I should let it free roam.My only concern with that, is my cats. Can anyone list the pros and cons of owning an Ig, too?Also, any recommended reading sites? Thanks!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. dragonsfire39

dragonsfire39 New Member

Iguanas are a large responsibility to get into. Make sure you do A LOT of research. They get 6 feet long, live for 20+ years (make sure you want an animal that lives that long), they can also get very aggressive if you don't work with them everyday, they have strict diets and need special lighting. Free roaming can work sometimes but if you have cats I wouldn't recommend it. I had an iggy that was a free roamer when I was home. My dog however decided one day to ram into the door she was behind and kill her. You have to watch a dog or cat because their instincts come into play with a small animal like that. I will put a few links in here and you should read through the info about them. I'd read up on them and then decide if an iggy is right for you. You would need a cage though and when they are full grown you would need an 8-9 foot cage.

http://www.greenigsociety.org/

www.anapsid.org

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. denise38

denise38 New Member

YES.... BIG... lifelong commitment when you own an iggy . ! Please read up like others have mentioned. Its often that people jump thinking oh man how cool , but then after they see the responsibility and the cost and the time they require, they wish they hadnt. ! Im not detering you from getting one just read, read, read up on them first. !
    Space is a huge necessity for them.