Thinking about buying a Mali

Discussion in 'Uromastyx' started by PitsNherps, Apr 5, 2007.

1. PitsNherps

PitsNherps Well-Known Member

I have been really interested in Malis for quite some time and thinking about buying one.
    I have been doing alot of research and I think I would like one I want to be prepared and ready for one before it comes home.
    Im not sure what Im going to use as a terrarium yet if im going to build or buy.
    But they do need UBV repti sun 8.0?
    Can I use a regular sunglow basking bulb 100 watt?The basking spot temp should be around 110 1120f
    The ambient air temp should be around 100 and the cool side should be around 80f

I read that the humidity should be very low around 10 to 20 %
    How often should you soak them I read only once a monthe and you should not have a water dish and just mist the veggies before putting them in the cage

Im thinking of buying a 75 gallon Im not sure if Im getting a baby or an adult my friend is looking to rehome her adult but I want to make sure Im ready for one.
    She has him on millet seed or whatever.Should I use slate tile?I also read sand is good but not for babies I personally dont like sand at all its stinky and messy and I dont want to risk impaction.

I will feed a variety of greens like I do with my Bearded dragons and does anybody feed crickets or superworms to there Mali?I read it is okay to feed them as a treat to adults but rarely.

Should I use the pure calcium 1 times a week or calcium wtih d3 and what about herpivite?

Thanks

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Riddick

Riddick New Member

www.deerfernfarms.com is a AWESOME care sheet!

Uro's need a little higher UVB I use Repti-Glo 10.0

There basking temps should be between 125-130, cool side upper 80's or low 90's

Yes humidity should be VERY low

They really don't need to be soaked at all, as long as you mist the greens everyday.

a 75 will work, I have mine in a 40 breeder right now, but he's just a lil guy. When he gets bigger I am gonna build a enclosure because Uro's need more floor space then height.

Millet is a good substrate, so is tile, I use Oxbow Eco Straw and I am very happy with it. I would hold off on sand until the uro is older.

Uro's need a much larger variety of greens then beardies, deer fern has a good list. A few of the favorites of my Uro are Bok Choy, Mustard Greens, Endive, Escarole, Collard Greens, Turnip Greens. No romaine and no iceberg, it doesn't have enough nutritional value. Uro's also love to munch on finch seed, so I have a small bowl of that for him as well. Feeding live food is a very contraversal matter with Uro's. Many say live food for treats is fine, other say it's not needed at all and that it actually does more harm than good. I don't give my Uro live food. I have thought about trying a goliath worm when he gets older, but for now all he gets is good greens.

I've heard the best dust to use for Uro's is Miner-All from sticky tongue farms. I dust my greens every other day.

Good Luck!!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. PitsNherps

Thanks for the information I will read that caresheet :eek:

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. PitsNherps

Thanks I will hopefully getting a Uro on the 28th Saharan Uro.
    So if anybody could help me out on Subsitrate Im not sure if I should use Tile or ?
    Thanks its a young adult

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. aaron157

aaron157 Member

half play sand and half tile. uros like to dig and are a native desert species, as in sand desert not barron clay wateland like beardies, uros do need sand or clay to digg in.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. PitsNherps

Thanks.
    And greens is what they eat like bearded dragons.
    Does anybody have pictures of there set ups?

12. aaron157

aaron157 Member

look, read the care sheet up above that the other guy posted, it has the answers to all of the questions you are asking us. You really should study books and caresheets before asking peoples conflicting opinions.

13. PitsNherps

Thanks.
    Im not sure what Terrarium I should use for my guy though I have a few.

1.30inches long
    1 foot wide
    1 foot tall
    [​IMG]

2.3 feet long
    13 inches wide
    18 inches long
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also have a built cage thats wood and screen doors I will get the measurements for it though.
    I think im going to use millet as a subsitrate.

14. aaron157

aaron157 Member

you need a 40 long as a minimum, so unless you are willing to invest for everything the animal needs now, I would advise againt getting a uro until you have everything it requires.

15. PitsNherps

Whats the measurments for a 40 long?
    Are you telling me these are to small? I have everything hes needs and I have money to spend aswell thanks.

16. aaron157

aaron157 Member

40 longs are 36in long, 18 deep, and 18 tall. these are the smallest dimensions you should use with a mali.

17. PitsNherps

Okay well Im going to use the cage I built them its 43 long 26 wide and 32 high

18. aaron157

aaron157 Member

thats what I would you your 20 long you have, the one that's 30x12x12 would house a baby for about a year though. Malis take about 2 full years to become adults! Also is the cage that you built have glass sides or screen sides? Screen is bad, it doesnt hold heat, and you uro will try to climb on it and will it rip it's nails out or worse break digits in the process! In the wild Uromastyx climb trees to eat the flowing buds and leaves, they aren't aboral but the always try to climb on vertical surfaces.

19. PitsNherps

Okay. thanks
    The cage I built is wood all around just have a screen doors is that going to be a problem?
    Im not sure what I should do to keep the millet in?
    Should I just use tile or shelf liner and provide a box of millet? Like those small kitty littler boxes at walmart?

20. aaron157

aaron157 Member

you should just use sand, once uros ingest some millet seed they will start eating that instead of their food.

21. PitsNherps

Well I was reading the deerfernfarms caresheet and they say millet is the best subsitrate?
    I am really picky about particle subsitrate because of impaction but play sand will be fine.

So its not a good idea to have it tiled and have a box of sand or millet in there?
    Could you post a pic of your enclosure?

22. Nines

Nines Member

Re: RE: Thinking about buying a Mali

Just throwing in my .02. I have not found this to be the case. I'm not saying that your uro will not eat the millet, I have seen mine occasionally indulge, but He faithfully eats his lentils, as well as his daily salad of Bok Choy, Endive, and Dandelion.

I am new to the world of Uro's, and started out with millet. Nines seemed to like it, but I'll have to blame Jayhay on this one, I have converted to tile with a millet box. Nines has a basking area to climb to, loves to sleep along side the millet box, and also plays/digs in the millet. As far as using the millet box as a litter box, I have found that he has no idea what he is doing and dumps where ever he feels like.

Tile makes for very easy clean up. I shopvac the enclosure out weekly, and spot clean as needed. I'll include a picture of my set up. I can't say enough just how much Nines LOVES to climb to the upper tier, and bask. My Egyptian is part monkey for all I know. He's quite the climber.

Good luck with your set up.

[​IMG]

This picture has a plastic 9" millet box. I have since upgraded to a 11x11" teflon millet box. It has a lip on the side, which makes it easier for a frontal assault on the second tier. There are rocks in the back, so he can climb from the back. He's still young, 10 months, and 11 3/4 inches. The tank is smallish, a 55 gallon. At some point in the future, I plan a custom enclosure.

23. PitsNherps

RE: Re: RE: Thinking about buying a Mali

Thanks it looks great :p
    I think I will use tile and have a millet box inside the cage I like the basking ledge/stand that he has :)
    I didn't expect him to be litter trained the litter boxes are smaller at walmart for like 3.00 so I thought that would be a good thing for millet :)

24. ReptileCrazy

ReptileCrazy Well-Known Member

Hey Pits!

Malis are awesome - well, Uros in general are awesome!! I have had mine for about a year and he is such a funny little guy i just ADORE him. I had a few issues with him when i first got him because a few things in my set up weren't perfect - so just be ready to alter things as you need to - once i tweaked things a little he florished!!

The only concern i would have about using a smaller tank is making sure you dont cook the little guy - make sure you still have a cool end. In a 20long you may find that to get the basking spot to 120degrees makes the whole tank to hot - although i do not know.

For substrate i think (mcuh as with beardies) that is a matter or personal preference - some people swear by sand and millet seed, but many people (including myself) have good success using non particulate substrates such as tile or non adhesive shelf liner. some folks opt to do shelf liner or tile and give a sand box to dig in.

I use the mecury vapor bulb for UVB ith my uro and he loves it - i had the repti-sun 10.0 fo awhile and his colors and activity level was not great - once i switcheed the the mega ray he just exploded with color and attitude!

For diet i offer a wide variety of dark leafy greens, as well as things like shredded carrots and peas as "toppers", i also always have a dish in his cagethat has millet seed, rep-cal iguana pellets (juvie), pretty bird finch pellets, and 10 bean soup mix that has been ground up in a coffee grinder.

You want to make sure you have the right kind of hides - something low that will almost touch their back so they feel very secure. I use rocks and slate tiles to make hides that are just an inch or so off the ground - of course the height is variable depending on the size of your uro :)

Check out www.deerfernfarms.com they have a really nice care sheet :p

25. PitsNherps

Thank you so much :)
    I was thinking of buying a ceramic heat emmitter and a mercury vapor bulb.
    Would that be okay?