Thinking about buying a Mali

Discussion in 'Uromastyx' started by PitsNherps, Apr 5, 2007.

1. ReptileCrazy

ReptileCrazy Well-Known Member

I wouldn't use a CHE just because they dont put out much light...I would get the MVB and see how hot the basking spot is and then add additional bulbs if you need to.

As far as the substrate - its very much your own personal opinion really...i am like you and have a fear of all things particulate so i went with the shelf liner and my uro doesnt seem to mind not having a burrowing spot - once he gets a bit bigger i think i will give him a tub of sand or something to dig in

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. PitsNherps

PitsNherps Well-Known Member

Thanks I will stick to the MBV what wattage should I get?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. aaron157

aaron157 Member

what is the distance from the bulb to where the uromastyx bask? if its around 10-12 inches go with 100w if its 18 or more go with the 150-160w.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Collard

Collard Member

Re: RE: Thinking about buying a Mali

How long have you been using the MVB Mega-Ray Bulb? What wattage do you use and for what size tank? Do you use the Self-Ballasted or the Externally-Ballasted? Sorry for all of the Questions, but I've been looking into them for a short while and I wanted some feedback from someone that had actually been using one. Thanks for the help.

Chris.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. ReptileCrazy

ReptileCrazy Well-Known Member

RE: Re: RE: Thinking about buying a Mali

I ordered from http://reptileuv.com/ - they are awesome! You can call and tell them what animal, what size tank and how far away the animal will be from the bulb and they will tell you what wattage will be the best to use - the man i spoke with was very knowledgeable and i have been thrilled with the bulb.

I got the Self Ballasted.

I have been SO happy with the bulb - my uro loves it his colors and activity and appetite have all improved. The service i recieved from the company was excellent as well

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. PitsNherps

Are Uros okay with red light bulbs?
    And are they active at night or do they sleep like beardes?

12. Collard

Collard Member

They are diurnal Pits (active during the day sleep at night.) The red bulbs should be fine I wouldnt see why they wouldnt be.

13. Collard

Collard Member

Thanks for all the info reptile crazy. I have read alot of good reviews about the Mega-Ray and I think I'm going to switch from Zoo Med to them.

Thanks again
    Chris

14. PitsNherps

Okay.
    Thanks I was just wondering because bearded dragon can see the red light and its not that good for them.
    I think im justing going to use an MBV.