Thinking about getting a russian tortoise or a Hermans

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by geckopaws, Oct 20, 2004.

1. geckopaws

geckopaws New Member

I'm thinking about getting a russian tortoise or a hermans tortoise. Which one tortoise is easier for care. I know caring for tortoises isn't easy at all. They require special diets and all that good junk. I went to russiantortoise.org and heard they they need at least a 75 gallon for an aquarium or a 50 gallon tub. I was wondering I have a 40 gallon breeder and it's more wide and long than it is tall. Do you think that I should get a hermans or a russian?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

I would say the MINIMUM space for a Hermann's would be 2x4 feet. But larger is better. Pretty much the same for the Russian. I would plan on building a secure outdoor enclosure that's bigger than that for the spring and summer. Both have similar care needs. Savannah typ environment. Warm temps. Vegetarian diets. Very little animal protein. Both get aroun 7-8 inches in carapace length. What I would do is make a list of all the things you need to buy for both (pretty much the same for either), then compare prices for the animals, supplies, etc. Make sure you have the space for them both outside and inside and the time to care for them, as well as being able to afford vet expenses in an emergency. Then decide which one you'd rather have. Sometimes it a matter of getting ready to bring one home (have everything set up) then going out to the breeder or show (or checking out pics from online breeders) and seeing which one really gets your attention. If you're ready for the commitment, and cost since torts aren't cheap, then your decision is usually easier.