Thinking about getting a snake - are they boring?

Discussion in 'General Snakes' started by RedOctober, Dec 9, 2007.

1. RedOctober

RedOctober Embryo

Hi. I'm considering purchasing a snake (Mex-Mex King). For a beginner like myself, that'd be the ideal snake. I think they only reach like 2 1/2 feet. What I like about snakes is that they don't need UVB lighting and only need to be fed like once a week. I'm just curious about their activity. Do they like to explore a lot? Because I had a Leopard Gecko and it was pretty boring. He'd stay in his hide 80% of the time. I understand their nocturnal, but I'd like something a little more active. Do snakes just stay in their hides too, or are they more interesting?

Thanks

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. onsidlives

onsidlives Member

snakes for the most part stay in their hides.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. rejectedloner14221

rejectedloner14221 New Member

if you want something that is always active and entertaining then maybe a reptile isnt the right animal for you

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. RedOctober

RedOctober Embryo

Can you guys recommend some that are a little more active? There must be some.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. cosmosnake

cosmosnake New Member

How about a dog?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. RedOctober

RedOctober Embryo

I have one, lol

12. onsidlives

onsidlives Member

fire belly toads are sort of active if you wanna go with a frog but i don't think you're gonna find a snake or a lizard that doesn't hide most of the time.

13. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 ReptileBoards Addict

Carpet Pythons are apt to drape on a branch or perch, but they are not 'active'. When they get secure with their surroundings and mature a bit it is not uncommon for them to stay out, they are great display snakes. They just hang out though, they don't go cruising around all the time, but at least you see more of them ;)
    My little female is in a hide right now but my male is half hiding/half out. A snake (in general of course) will usually hide during the day and come out at night...it's just what they do.

14. Kingkier

Kingkier New Member

sounds like u want something that will do hand stands and stuff lol ;) :( :D ,Reptiles don't do much to be honest lol.But they are still very cool :D

15. Corny_Noob

Corny_Noob Member

I'm just trying to figure out why this is on the corn snake board...
    But yeah it sounds like a snake isn't really for you.

16. Timr_05

Timr_05 Embryo

how about a goldfish :wink: always awake

17. DianneB

DianneB Embryo

Well handling my little Brazilian Rainbow Boa bare handed will keep you attention, particular when she is in a bad mood!

18. sb1127

sb1127 New Member

If you are looking for an "unboring snake" then getting a bull, pine or gopher snake is a safe bet. They are very active compared to ball pythons or corns. My bull and gopher spend the majority of the day cruising their cages. Of course, they do spend plenty of time coiled up in their hides. It's what snakes do. Many snakes are nocturnal, so you may not see them during the day.

19. gecko94

gecko94 New Member

I personally think it is in the snake. I have two Burmese pythons, one's always moving, and coming up and down on different levels, and one stays in the hide all day. My carpet likes to sit on one level until i turn the light off. I'd go with a gopher, or maybe a corn.

20. ipushmycar

ipushmycar Embryo

My mexican black king is always out n about. Usually he doesnt even sit in his hide, he lays on top of it.

21. bodom85

bodom85 Member

Your colubrids are going to be more active than most snakes because of their high metabalism. Keep in mind snakes have their own personalitys. So generalizing doesnt always turn out to be true. I have a tricolor hognose that Im lucky to see once a week. My cross breed is always moving. My green tree python is usually purched on a branch during the day then at night is all over, but to handle one at night isnt smart unless you like being bit. By no means should you even consider keeping one of these at this point, my sidewinder is a lump during the day but at night is all over. Burms can be fun, but they get huge. I agree with everyone here, snakes arent the life of the party but they are awsome in their own way.