Thinking about getting a uromastyx

Discussion in 'Uromastyx' started by Aleximunoz, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Aleximunoz

Aleximunoz Embryo

Hopefully this section is more active than some of the others on this site....

I'm sorry if I missed a more detailed uro care sheet, I skimmed through this sections topics and didn't seem to find what I was looking for...
    As far as species go, the Egyptian seems to be the only one that is "large", besides that are there huge differences btween other types? I see they come in tons of different colors.
    Would a juvenile/young uro do ok in a 20 gal? I know I will have to move him to a larger one eventually but since I have it already I might as well see if I can put it to use.
    I plan on getting at least 50 gal long (48 x 18 x 13) by the time its an adult, unless someone thinks its better to just get the 50 to start, I found a site where its only $102.

I use newspaper for my beardie, reptile carpet gets caught in his nails and sand doesn't seem to be a good choice for most reptiles in general, would news paper be ok for a uro? I think I'm ok with most other things, lighting, heating, hides, food (mostly same veggies as a beardie, right?). I've also read they aren't very social, they don't like to be held like Beardies do. Is that more common than not? Anything else you want to add would be greatly appreciated. I'm not in a hurry to get one, I want to make sure I have everything I need and all the knowledge BEFORE getting one.
    I've got Deerfernfarms.com opened in another tab so I'm reading there as well. Thanks for looking!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. malves85

malves85 Embryo

I would say a 20l is ok for a baby but I would move him to that 50gal after a few months. If you are getting an egyptian I would get a larger tank. They get about 30in in length and need atleast a 5ft long tank. Papertowels or newspaper is fine. I like papertowels since they are more absorbant. As adults I actually read on the deerfernfarm site they use millet as a substrate so I have been using that and like it.
    They arent as social as beardies but they are known to be very friendly. Make sure you get a captive bred one as they will be the friendliest. Also the egyptian is known to have the best personality but isnt the most colorful. The most popular is the ornate. They have a lot of color and are very tame. They are no shoulder rider like the beardie but they will eat out of ur hand and tolerate handling.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. MimC

MimC Moderator

Deerfernfarms is a GREAT website!!!

Personally, I think Uros are excellent reptiles to own! It is correct that they are not hugely "friendly" the way a beardie is, but they are so fun to watch race around their tanks that it makes up for it! There are some uros that will tolerate some degree of handling, as Malves stated the Ornates tend to be more tolerant of handling.

Personally I would start with a larger tank than a 20long, not so much because of the size of the lizard but because of how active they are, and how high they need their basking temps. I started my baby mali off in a 40g breeder and it worked well!