thinking about getting an iggy

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by jami, Sep 3, 2005.

1. jami

jami Member

I just started to get into lizards (have a leo gecko now) I thought i might take another shot at iggys sence i had one once and it died but i want to get info first this time so what kind of stuff do i need to know like where would be good place to find affordable lovable iggys (dont want store bought) and health issues possible vet visits (if necessary) I have a 20 long i could use and put my leo in a 10 gallon (though will more likely make a 4 foot long thing for it) how much food do they eat can i use same dust stuff for iggy that i do leo ? thaks

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Rickiii

Rickiii New Member

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. bratspets

bratspets Member

Hi Jami, my 3 1/2 foot female Iggy was brought to me in a 20 gallon...way too small. It was filthy, and she was dangerous. She now basks in a 55 gallon, also too small for a large iguana, but is free roaming most of the time. Make sure you do your homework on this. I was a bit surprised at all the stuff I didn't know. Another good site is www.greenigsociety.org

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. ReptileCrazy

ReptileCrazy Well-Known Member

An iguana is definately a step up in care from a leo. A lot more money/time/space goes into having an iggy. A 20gallon long is too small to even house a hatchling in. You could start a very small hatchling in a 40gallon breeder. but keep in mind these guys get to be 3-6ft as adults and will need a cage that measures at least 6ftx6ftx6ft, a small room is really better. So as you can see, the four footer you are planning on really will not suffice. Having said that, you may find you will enjoy an adult ig better than a hatchlings, it takes a lot to tame down baby igs and they tend to bite, scratch, tail whip and run away. It takes patcience and time to get them to really mellow out, and sometimes it can take years. There are tons of unwanted iguanas out there that are great animals looking for a home, when you are finished with all your research and have set up a nice big cage and gotten all the needed supplies, try contacting a rescue and getting a nice mellow adult. Keep in mind also that adult males tend to go through a breeding season when they can get very violent, even towards their keepers. A female might be better suited for you.

Iguanas are high maintence pets, definately not suited for everyone, make sure you do tons of research before you get your iggy. The websites listed above provide great info. "Iguanas for dummies" by mellissa kaplin is also a really great book.

Your ig will also need a UVB light, a big tub for basking in (or time in your tub each day), a nice warm basking spot, basking branches, and tons of veggies! As far as supplementing, if you get a hatchling you will want to supplement with straight calcium at every feeding, and a multivit containing D3 once a week. As they get older you can decrease the frequency. Adult iggys should have calicum 1-2x weekly and a multivit every two weeks.

As far as vetrinary care, your iggy will need a yearly physical like any other animal and routine (1-2x yearly) fecals run to check for parasites. I always try to keep several hundred dollars stashed away for emergency care, reptiles are expensive to treat when they get sick!

Iguanas can be great animals to keep but they take a certain level of dedication, patcience and care. Do lots of research and build or buy a nice comphy home for your iggy before you bring one home :)

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. General48

General48 Member

simply put... do your research. Period. they get big fats and can be aggressive and difficult to house

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. jami

jami Member

thanks was looking and though i like the idea that they are bigger didnt realise what bigger ment
    i have heard that beadies are smaller and much tamer i will do research on these guys may be for christmas i will get one of them we will see thanks again
    ps any advice / news about these guys will be appreciated

12. hornedfrog

hornedfrog Member

Just head on over to the beardie forum on this site. It will have everything you need to know and alot more! I'm sure you know this, but don't listen to anything the pet store tells you. This site has much more reliable information.