Thinking about getting iguana

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by TimothyTodd, Jul 10, 2007.

1. TimothyTodd

TimothyTodd Member

I've been thinking about getting an iguana. I was wondering if anyone had some good care sheets, or any advice from experience that might not be in a care sheet. Info on enclosures, diet, care, etc.. Thanks.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. killabizkit50187

killabizkit50187 Embryo

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]these are some pictures of a few of the cages i put together. i have a male and a female that are about 2 and a half and a yearling

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. ludothegreat

ludothegreat Member

Iguanas are wonderful pets, but you MUST know before hand what you are getting into. You will need to be willing to spend a lot of time each day caring for the iguana. There is so much to consider when owning a iguana. One of the biggest things is cage size when it reaches adult hood. When it comes to care sheets there isnt really any caresheets out there. Care for iguanas is so involved that really only complete websites can cover the vast amount of information you will need. Some of the best websites out there are:
    http://www.iguanaden.org/
    http://www.greenigsociety.org/
    http://www.anapsid.org/

I have also put together a iguana diet that is basicly what those 3 websites will tell ya to feed, but in simpler terms. you can find it here:
    http://www.ludosherps.com/?page_id=36

I suggest you read up A LOT and soak in everything that is required in taking care of iguanas. It really can be over whelming at times and people don't usually realize just how much goes into caring for them. Good luck and feel free to post any other questions you have.

EDIT: Can someone fix those pics above? That is annoying. Lol thank you.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. killabizkit50187

killabizkit50187 Embryo

sorry about all the pics you really got to scroll over to seethem all the bamboo pics are the blinds i put over the cage to give them privacy and hold in heat. they need unfiltered sunlight so i keep the windows open and have two uv bulbs and a heat lamp. it needs to be between 85-95 about that anyways. with the highest being 95 and as low as 75-80 in the cool side.

as far as the diet goes you really have to read up on it alot a whole lot then make your own decisions. you need to find the diet staples you can count on and which ones should be used in moderation. it should consist of mostly veggies like 90-95%. then alittle fruit for color and flavor. it isnt very popular to give them animal protein like bugs and stuff because it is hard on them. they also need to have fiber..usually alfalfa. you need to find out how to control their calcium and usually this can be done with diet and lighting naturally but if you lack in that then you need to use a calcium supplement. the ratios on the bottles are important.

a bacis staple diet could consist of

squash
    green beans
    snow peas
    alfalfa
    alittle fruit
    parsnips
    this should be served mixed as a sald.

also on a regualr basis they should be presented with dark leafy greens. never lettuce of any kind exept for moisture.

good examples are kale collard and dandelion greens

there is a bunch more but that will get you started

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. TimothyTodd

TimothyTodd Member

Thank you both.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. hubert_cumberdale

hubert_cumberdale Member

They do also have their accquired taste to foods. Dont forget they love flowers, ive made a flower bed of non toxic plants for my lizards to feast on lol