Thinking about larger enclosure. Advice?

Discussion in 'Boas' started by munkyboy, Oct 24, 2004.

1. munkyboy

munkyboy New Member

O.K. I'VE ASKED NICELEY ALREADY. PLEASE STOP THE PISSING CONTEST AND REMAIN ON TOPIC! I am a neophyte boa owner seeking advice on building a bigger and better enclosure. I am also very new to this site. I am seeking information from competant, experienced, sharing, and helpful folks, that may better help me to help my snake. If anyone can offer advice that may be helpful to my endeaver, it will be greatfully appreciated. If you want to continue to trash each other, thats o.k. too. I only ask that you start a new post, and trash away. I'll probably view it from time to time just for sport, but please do it elsewhere. Don't tread on me!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

Sorry munkyboy....
    The best information I can give you is this.... go simple! The simpler your cage design is the easier it will be to take care of when your 6' BCI dumps a water bowl or leaves you a present a rottweiler would be proud of. I built my 6x2x2 with AA grade pine plywood on the top and sides. For the bottom I framed out with 2x2's and put 1/8" shower surround material in for the floor. I also added shower surround up the first 12" of wall to make it easier to clean. The shower surround is thin enough to allow heat transfer through the floor from a normal human heat pad. To supplement that there is a CHE on the top that is controlled by a homemade rheostat controller.
    Heres a couple pics.....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Heres a link to some very rough plans for it. Click Here

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. munkyboy

munkyboy New Member

Thank you very much for the plans and pics of your enclosure. I'm impressed with your handywork. That enclosure is too pretty for your garage. lol. That will help greatly with my planning. What are you using for a substrate? How are you controlling humidity? Thanks again. :)

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

I am using newspaper for a substrate and I have humidity in the 55% range without spraying but once every other day. It's in the snake room with the rest of the herps so the temps and humidity in that room are a bit higher than a normal room. That makes it a LOT easier to keep things "right"

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. munkyboy

munkyboy New Member

Any other ideas? I may considder building a stacked, multi enclosure unit, as there is talk in the condo. of more herps in the future. If I go this route can anyone offer advice? This may be the way to go, as I don't have all that much extra room for enclosures in my condo. Bare in mind my BCI will go on one level exclusively. Top? Bottom? middle? Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Ed_r

Ed_r Member

This is my Boa Condo. Dimensions are 6'8"Wx 2'D x11"H

[​IMG]

12. munkyboy

munkyboy New Member

SWEET! Thats great. Thanks. I was thinking snakes and other herps, so, design would be a bit different. That really helps though. Gives me some ideas. Did you build it yourself? How is it heated?

13. Ed_r

Ed_r Member

Yes I built it myself. Heat is provided by a 3'x11" piece of flexwatt under the flooring of each layer, controlled by a Helix proportional t-stat.

14. munkyboy

munkyboy New Member

You did a great job! Nice!
    Where may I obtain flexwatt? What did you use for flooring?

15. Ed_r

Ed_r Member

16. raggamuffin

raggamuffin New Member

Wow, that's some pretty fab handywork on both the encloser and the condo. Well done to you both. Would love to attempt something like that but I was never very good at woodwork at school :D