thinking of getting an iggy

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by naughty1_2u, Feb 13, 2007.

1. naughty1_2u

naughty1_2u Embryo

i am thinking of getting a iggy and want some advice. We would like to build his enclosure first and get it ready so if any one has any advice on ways to build enclosures and basic needs it would be great. The enclosure i am taking about is the one with ply wood and full length screen doors with a key lock so i don't have to worry about my kids. I have done plenty of research on the care for him and i think i am ready. just wanted advice also

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. brina6

brina6 New Member

depending on the iggys size... the bigger the better i say.. my 2 iggs have their own rooms they are about a year old... i was told that pvc pipes work well.. plants are good to ones that arent poisonous to the igg... well gl

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. EndVision

EndVision New Member

not only the size just make sure your in for the long haul they can get quite pricey to care for and at times very aggressive....

take a look at this link it can show you what an iguana can do even if you know everything about them... http://tesa.proboards24.com/index.cgi?boar...read=1161469701

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. hpimichael02

hpimichael02 New Member

yes PVC pipe works very well and its cheap you can still have full Mesh doors, the plastic garden mesh sold at homedepot is also very strong and cheap (to put over the pvc pipe), yea i would recomend that if you dont want to tame a baby then get an sub-adult- adult, check out Kingsnake.com-classifieds-Lizards this way you can be sure of getting a tammer animal or buy from a reputable breeder..

PVC cage will cost you $60-70 Max a wooden cage will cost you about $80 but wood only lasts about 3-5 years...... plus PVC is easier to move and breaks down easier if you have to move....

but be easy with your kids with teh ig until he/she is tamed up...

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. c3powil

c3powil New Member

YA,I jut built one out of pvc and its grand! :D

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. naughty1_2u

naughty1_2u Embryo

update pics

well i got valentine today i do believe however that it is a boy. We got him from petland and i felt so bad they had three guys in one maybe 10 gallon tank one looked pretty bad he was really dark with no green and did not even bother to move when i put my hand in and the other was so tiny and no meat at all if i could have i would have brought them all home but i couldn't so i picked valentine he was bright green lots of energy and friendly but careful of me at the same time.eyes are nice and clear and tail is intact i have pics currently he is in a 20 gallon long but only untill tuesday then he will be in a multilevel that is 5'5'3 this should be good size for awhile.

12. naughty1_2u

naughty1_2u Embryo

13. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

Fixed your link :)

[​IMG]

Cute iggy btw! :D

14. naughty1_2u

naughty1_2u Embryo

thanks do you know about how old he is i am assuming pretty young

15. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

Yeh, he does look pretty young. How long is he?

16. naughty1_2u

naughty1_2u Embryo

about 3 maybe 4 inch from snot to base of body not including tail