This made me cry - A Puppy's Story

Discussion in 'Animal Adoptions' started by Kathy_and_Bert, Jan 25, 2007.

1. Kathy_and_Bert

Kathy_and_Bert New Member

I read this online today and it really made me tear up here at work! I'm going to go home and give my doggies and my scaley buddies big hugs tonight...

A Puppy's Story

"When I was a puppy, I entertained you with my antics and made you laugh. You called me your child, and despite a number of chewed shoes, and a couple of murdered throw pillows, I became your best friend. Whenever I was "bad" you'd shake your finger at me and ask, "How could you?" --but then you'd relent, and roll me over for a belly rub. My housebreaking took a little longer than expected, because you were terribly busy, but we worked on that together. I remember those nights of nuzzling you in bed and listening to your confidences and secret dreams, and I believed that life could not be any more perfect. We went for long walks and runs in the park, car rides, stops for ice cream (I only got the cone because "ice cream is bad for dogs," you said), and I took long naps in the sun waiting for you to come home at the end of the day.

Gradually, you began spending more time at work and on your career, and more time searching for a human mate. I waited for you patiently, comforted you through heartbreaks and disappointments, never chided you about bad decisions, and romped with glee at your homecomings, and when you fell in love.

She, now your wife, is not a "dog person" -- still, I welcomed her into our home, tried to show her affection, and obeyed her. I was happy because you were happy. Then the human babies came along and I shared your excitement. I was fascinated by their pinkness, how they smelled, and I wanted to mother them, too. Only she and you worried that I might hurt them, and I spent most of my time banished to another room, or to a dog crate.

Oh, how I wanted to love them, but I became a "prisoner of love." As they began to grow, I became their friend. They clung to my fur and pulled themselves up on wobbly legs, poked fingers in my eyes, investigated my ears, and gave me kisses on my nose. I loved everything about them and their touch --because your touch was now so infrequent -- and I would have defended them with my life if need be. I would sneak into their beds and listen to their worries and secret dreams, and together we waited for the sound of your car in the driveway.

There had been a time, when others asked you if you had a dog, that you produced a photo of me from your wallet and told them stories about me. These past few years, you just answered "yes" and changed the subject. I had gone from being "your dog" to "just a dog," and you resented every expenditure on my behalf.

Now, you have a new career opportunity in another city, and you and they will be moving to an apartment that does not allow pets. You've made the right decision for your "family," but there was a time when I was your only family. I was excited about the car ride, until we arrived at the animal shelter. It smelled of dogs and cats, of fear, of hopelessness. You filled out the paperwork and said "I know you will find a good home for her." They shrugged and gave you a pained look. They understand the realities facing a middle-aged dog, even one with "papers." You had to pry your son's fingers loose from my collar, as he screamed "No, Daddy! Please don't let them take my dog!" And I worried for him, and what lessons you had just taught him about friendship and loyalty, about love and responsibility, and about respect for all life.

You gave me a good-bye pat on the head, avoided my eyes, and politely refused to take my collar and leash with you. You had a deadline to meet, and now I have one, too. After you left, the two nice ladies said you probably knew about your upcoming move months ago and made no attempt to find me another good home. They shook their heads and asked, "How could you?"

They are as attentive to us here in the shelter as their busy schedules allow. They feed us, of course, but I lost my appetite days ago. At first, whenever anyone passed my pen, I rushed to the front, hoping it was you, that you had changed your mind -- that this was all a bad dream... or I hoped it would at least be someone who cared, anyone who might save me. When I realized I could not compete with the frolicking for attention of happy puppies, oblivious to their own fate, I retreated to a far corner and waited.

I heard her footsteps as she came for me at the end of the day, and I padded along the aisle after her to a separate room. A blissfully quiet room. She placed me on the table and rubbed my ears, and told me not to worry. My heart pounded in anticipation of what was to come, but there was also a sense of relief. The prisoner of love had run out of days. As is my nature, I was more concerned about her. The burden that she bears weighs heavily on her. I know that, the same way I knew your every mood. She gently placed a tourniquet around my foreleg as a tear ran down her cheek. I licked her hand in the same way I used to comfort you so many years ago. She expertly slid the hypodermic needle into my vein.

As I felt the sting and the cool liquid coursing through my body, I lay down sleepily, looked into her kind eyes and murmured, "How could you?" Perhaps because she understood my dogspeak, she said, "I'm so sorry." She hugged me, and hurriedly explained it was her job to make sure I went to a better place, where I wouldn't be ignored or abused or abandoned, or have to fend for myself -- a place of love and light so, very different from this earthly place. And with my last bit of energy, I tried to convey to her with a thump of my tail that my "How could you?" was not directed at her.

It was you, My Beloved Master. I will think of you, and wait for you forever. May everyone in your life continue to show you so much loyalty.

The End
    (copyright by Sandi Guillemette)"

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Dream

Dream Embryo

RE: This made me cry

Hi,
    I'm on the Board of Directors here at our local shelter and I'm going to print this frame it and hang it in the lobby. you have no clue on how many people come in with pet's that are grown saying they are moving and can't take them, wanting us to find them "new homes." the sad part is only 10% of all animals that come in find new homes. sadly we don't have the room to keep all the animals that come in until they find homes, our space is only so big and we only have so many runs. Puppy's and kittens will get adopted before adults thats just the way it is.
    Then we have the people that don't want to take the time to bring their pets to us, they set them free on the street to fend for them self's, or leave them behind to starve.... and WE the shelters are the ones getting the bad name!! if everyone would would do their part and spay and neuter and be responsible pet owners we would not have to destroy so many wonderful lives every year.
    Thank you for this our staff goes though this every day, the heartache they indore no one could understand. their love for the animals is why they are there, they are not there to be cruel to them at all they are there because they want to give them the best care they can in the time they may have left.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. moonknight

moonknight New Member

Thank you so much for sharing that... wow, that tears me up

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. plmarsg8

plmarsg8 Well-Known Member

That was beautiful. That kind of jerks at your tears.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. RobertII

RobertII Well-Known Member

I just printed that out! Thanks for sharing it.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. babybub

babybub Member

ok i cried

12. Saucy

Saucy Well-Known Member

Ditto... but it's so true... everyone should read that.

13. trapieter

trapieter Member

I'm still crying :cry: every cat I have is from a rescue, and not from a large rescue either as most of them do this practice and ofcourse I understand in a sense but it still breaks my heart. The small rescues I have gone to have foster homes for the older cats and dogs and refuse to do this. But I have been living alone since I was 18 had a cat since I was 19 and moved over 14 times into rented accomodation and I'm sorry but if you don't have my pets I wont sign that lease (or I sneak em in lmao shhhhhh) a pet is for life. I couldn't do that job and my heart goes out to those who do. anyway it just makes you think about stuff... and it's not good to let me near a keyboard when I'm thinking lol so I'm going
    jojo xx

14. Drache613

Drache613 Well-Known Member

Hello

Hello,

Wow, what a tear jerker that is. I am sorry people are so heartless!! Your staff has an extremely difficult job, & you are right, most people could never do it.
    At least they get love & attention there while they are waiting to see what lies ahead.
    Very sad.

Tracie

15. ExTribute

ExTribute Embryo

RE: Hello

I have a rescue Greyhound shes such a lovely dog and if we hadn't gotten her when we did she would have been put to sleep....
    The fact fact is this is so true....
    Is it ok if i pass this onto the local pound ?

16. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

That's touching. Really sad. Maybe if people read this they may have a different perspective on their pets.

17. FrogmanJ

FrogmanJ New Member

Ha your all pretty touchy huh?

18. plmarsg8

plmarsg8 Well-Known Member

or maybe someone else is just insensitive.

19. trapieter

trapieter Member

ty plmarsg8 :D

20. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 ReptileBoards Addict

C'mon now guys...this was intended to be a nice thread, let's not turn it into something else.

21. FrogmanJ

FrogmanJ New Member

Re: RE: Hello

Yeah your exactly right.

22. trapieter

trapieter Member

plmars was just defending everyones right to be sensitive I was saying thankyou for it thats that. it is a lovely thread, a tear jerking thread and no one has th right to criticise those you genuinly care.
    back to the beautiful thread.

My mum has grey hounds she always gets them from the rescue and she would not advise a better dog for anyone. they are a fab pet, very loving and although they are large they are so placid. a def for older people I would say but I think people see them in the racing format but retired greyhounds are so diferent, well greyhounds are different lol great pets I love them. do you have many greyhound rescues over there?

23. Kathy_and_Bert

Kathy_and_Bert New Member

i live in the tampabay area of florida and greyhounds are raced here there are always ones up for adoption. my daughter has one

24. trapieter

trapieter Member

I think it is important to have grey hound rescues. we had an incident in the news a months or so ago which uncovered the fact that greyhound racers were taking dogs that could no longer race to some guy for a small fee and he would shoot them and bury them in his garden :shock: silly when there are rescue homes around that cater es[ecially for them.

I find most people want puppies or kittens and that is why the older ones are put down... makes no sense to me. I'd rather have an older cat/dog... trained already, no paper all round your house, no ripping up your stuff and a huge thank youin there eyes. helping with any trauma is just a reward :) and I just love watching grey hounds turn from a working dog to a pet.

25. Mr__Anole

Mr__Anole Embryo

Thats so sad...
    I had to put down one of my dogs once.
    she was having increasingly bad seisures and we didnt want her to hurt anymore.
    ...this is so sad...