this one's for the tegu freaks

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by ryzard, Mar 13, 2005.

1. ryzard

ryzard New Member

I am a monitor fan personally, but I am aware that tegus make excellent pets. The only reason I don't pursue one is because to me they look like a mix between a monitor and a skink, and I am no fan of skinks. BUT I did see this sweet red tegu, and i gotta say, that's one of the coolest patterned lizards I have ever seen. Someone wanna tell me how they're temperment ect. is in comparison to w&b and other types? Any other info on them is welcome too, I just was extremely attracted to them

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. lacerta

lacerta Member

It was a big red male tegu that I met two years ago at the Atlanta Reptile Show that really turned me into a tegu fan. Up until then I just considered them to be wanna-be monitors. Not only are mature tegus beautiful lizards, some species can become dog tame. The Red tegu and the Argentine Black and White are considered by most to be the most intelligent and best personality. I personally don't care for the Columbian Black and Whites. They are flighty and usually very mean. They are usually the cheapest in price. Some folks here on the forum really like the "Blue" tegus. I have no experience with them but they are attractive lizards. Apparently they don't get as large as the Red or the Argentines (the biggest). Most tegus sort of resemble skinks when they are juveniles. As they mature they can really bulk up and the males develop an impressive pair of jowls. I have two Argentines and they are wonderful lizards. Some consider tegus to be the smartest of all lizards. If you like your lizards large, and want one to cuddle with, my recommendation is an Argentine B&W or Red.
    George

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. ryzard

ryzard New Member

Thanks (sorry took so long to reply)
    I saw something that was a redxblue hybrid tegu where they mixed the two. Does anyone got more info on them?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. ryzard

ryzard New Member

thanks klik lol this is where I went yesterday and found out about them in the first place :-P

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Danac

Danac New Member

I bought an Arg. B&W a few months ago and after a week to getting used to me he evolved into a VERY tame lizard. He is an easy keeper on crickets and boiled eggs and fruit and is a great pet.
    Based upon that success, I bought a juvenille female that was about twice his size. While the period of acclimation and getting used to being handled was longer, (and not without getting bit), she also has become quite tame.
    Of the mid to large size lizards, they are the best without a doubt. If you plan to buy one, Agama Int. and Ron St. Pierre are good sources. They both breed and are very helpful with husbandry etc. Agama is probley the largest breeder of Arg. Tegus in the world....nice people too.

12. ryzard

ryzard New Member

Thanks danac. I've had monitors before, but have never housed any tegus and was just wondering if their temperments were calmer than monitors based on personal experiences. I'm pretty interested in a red, but the only thing that turns me off about them is how the males develop those sagging cheeks

13. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

those big jowls are why i love the reds lol. why not get a female red then?

14. Danac

Danac New Member

Klik hit on something. Most of the pictures of both B&W and Reds show males with large jowls....its a guy thing. Actually, I am starting to get them myself...

15. ryzard

ryzard New Member

^lol

Yeah, I might consider a female. I was handling one today, the only one I've ever seen at a pet store around me (it was the first one I saw that made me post this), couldnt tell if it was male or female yet. But I absolutely fell in love with a b&w baby. He had so much personality, was standing up on his hind legs & just staring at me, and he was really active but also very tame when you handled him, which just impressed me so much. I gotta say, I don't really care for how they look, esp as babies how they have that skink look, but his personality more than made up for it.
    How big are yours danac?

16. ryzard

ryzard New Member

Also, I know argentine b&w are preferred over columbian, but would it be all that bad with a columbian

17. ryzard

ryzard New Member

Ok. Now I prefer the look of a sav to a b&w tegu, but I could get over that for the personality: Would a b&w be a dull big log like my adult savs are, or do they tend to have more personality later than a sav would?
    I like the way blues look over the b&w too. I suppose it all just comes down to temperment. If a columbian is as tameable as a sav, with more..conciousness. I can read 1000 care sheets for them, but it really comes down to personal experiences from other people w/ their pets

18. Danac

Danac New Member

ARG. Tegu's generally have a much better personality than the Columbians and are more expensive. Their diet is somewhat different as well.
    The female that I have is currently around 24' and the male is 18". I bought the male first and at a much younger age. He is really a fun reptile! He really has personallity and seems to enjoy his time out on my shoulder. The female was an adolescent when I purchased her and was not handled much which led to a period of aggression and ocasional bites.
    She is fine now, when she wants to be she can be very docile or very squirmy.
    Generally, ARG Tegu's are wonderful pets. No they are not big lumps, they retain their personality and curiosity. The ARG. can be kept outside in many climates as well. Agama, (you should go to their Web site), is in Alabama and houses all of their Tegu's outside.

You are on the right track, doing your research....by the way the ARG Tegu's are very colorful even into adulthood. In fact they get more vividly Black and White as they age.

19. ryzard

ryzard New Member

got me a good healthy b&w baby---eating, friendly, and doing just fine :)
    thanks for the advice

20. Danac

Danac New Member

congratulations! Great News! Handle him and he will grow to love it and beg for it. You made the right decision!