Thoth ill

Discussion in 'General Lizards' started by hobotramp, Dec 27, 2002.

1. hobotramp

hobotramp Member

He won't eat his crickets at all :) . We took him to the vet on Tuesday (4 days with no food and no fecal sample to take (nothing in 2 days)). Vet suspects he may have a cricket leg lodged in his intestine (or something like that). We are feeding him A/D feline/canine food mixed with water through a syringe (no uric(?) acid or D3 added to it, so safe for lizards). I still hate to pry his mouth open, but if we don't, he won't make it. His colour seems to be improving a bit, but he still isn't quite himself. Thinking of getting a couple of mealies or wax worms to see if maybe he'll eat them (change of pace) :) . Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated :D . Temps in enclosure are fine, and nothing has changed since we put him in his new home. Got our fingers crossed now. He left us a little pile yesterday, so I guess that means he is at least getting some of the food through him :) .
    Hope everyone had a good Christmas. ;)

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Awwww, sorry ot hear he's not doing good, I hope he turns out ok.

How's he drinking?

Try some fluids in an eye dropper. Pedialyte, and some baby food will help get some nutrients n' stuff back inside him. Make sure it's the new born baby food with no solids in it.

Good Luck!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. CheriS

CheriS Is well known here

One of the few times I would suggest feeding wax worms for a few days, they are high in fat, will clean out and loosen his bowles... only problem you may have is he will like them so much that he does not want anything else, so if he will eat a few, mix with other foods also, but avoid the crickets or mealies. Once he has several day eating and going poo, then you can add back some small crickets and if fresh shed the better. I have used the a/d before and know that it is used and recommended by some other breeders for poor eaters.

Good luck with him, keep us updated

[Edited on 28/12/2002 by CheriS]

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. hobotramp

hobotramp Member

Thnaks, Axe and Cheri. We'll try getting some wax worms tomorrow. So far, no interest in the crickets... he doesn't really even look at them. We're getting some food into him and he doesn't seem to be losing weight, but his colour still isn't good. Calling the vet tomorrow to update him as well. The onlt fluid he's drinking is with the food, but we're dripping water on him every so often as well. He hates the pedialyte... freaks out when we come near him with it. We're wondering if he could be lonely as the info I found on the South African Ground Agama says they live in groups of 2 to 25. At the store there were at least 10 in there with him and they all seemed to be getting along. Any thoughts about this? Keep you updated as we have any news.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

That could be it...

But if you decide to get more, make sure you introduce 'em all together on neutral ground. He might get territorial and stress the others out.

Give the tank a clean and change around the furniture inside it so it's like a new home that nobody has any claim over yet.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. hobotramp

hobotramp Member

Thanks for the suggestions for introducing a new agama (do you think just one more or maybe 2?). We'll probably be going to the store next week. What do you feed waxwoms? I've heard oats, greens, granola and a bit of honey. Anything else?

12. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

We've started using the gutload at www.cricketfood.com for our bugs. He does cricket & meal/superworm blends, but I don't see why the worm mix wouldn't be good for waxies too.

13. hobotramp

hobotramp Member

Thanks for the info. We'll look into getting some. By the way, the anoles LOVE the wax worms. We gave them each 2 for the adults, 1 for the youngsters. They hardly had time to get to the ground and they were gone!