Timor monitor Care Question

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by scarface104n, Oct 28, 2007.

1. scarface104n

scarface104n New Member

I'm planing on getting my first monitor and was thinking about getting a pair of timor monitor. i have a custom made 4'x2'x2' cage for them. The site that I'm getting them from are selling them CB between the size of 12" and 14". I have bin doing my research for about 2 months. I've read to use a mix of play sand and topsoil is this a good substrate or should i go with zoo med excavator clay burrowing substrate. If the sand mix with top soil works good I'll go with that i would also like to know if they do good in pairs. I am not planing on holding them i respect my reptiles space and know timor or monitors at that don't like to be handled.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Varanus99

Varanus99 New Member

Id go with the soil/sand. The Zoomed stuff is going to be too expensive to fill up a large cage. And from I have heard it doesnt work any better than regular old dirt.

Timors really like to climb. Might consider for the future a taller cage with more climbing space. Or expanding on what you have.

I keep all my monitors in small groups and do not have problems. The trick is to get them young and raise them together. When you do that they seem to get along. If you try to introduce an adult into an established group you could have trouble. If these two guys have been kept together since they were hatchlings you should have no problems.

There is some debate about whether or not monitors are social and do better in pairs/groups. The scientists say no. A lot of the keepers say yes. Ive been keeping monitors for a long time and I have definitely seen what can be called social interaction. No, they dont behave and *play* like dogs do but they do seem to interact with one another and choose to stay together or not stay together based on their own preferences. But of course its possible that you could have a problem so just be prepared to seperate them if you have to. Especially if you have two males, sometimes that doesnt work. Ive got one male red ackie who must be kept alone, he fights with anything I put him in it. Its rare but it does happen.

Timors can be a little nervous but a lot of them calm down over time.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. scarface104n

scarface104n New Member

thank for the help i ask on a differnt site and i was told that not even one timor monitor would fit in the cage i discribed is this true. if need be I'll get one also i wanted to know if i would be better of putting one or two ackie monitors instead. but i really like the timor monitor more do you think i will run into any problem putting either or I'l basically looking for a monitor to put in the 4x2x2 cage.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Varanus99

Varanus99 New Member

In my opinion the cage is the bare minimum for an animal the size of an ackie or timor. It is a little on the small side, thats true. I like to see animals that hit a length of 24" or so have at least a 6x2 or 6x3 cage. Gives them a bit more room to move about and you will see more behaviors. Will the lizard survive in a cage that size? Yes if the conditions are right. Would it be happier in something larger? You betcha.

Timors like to climb so if you are set on that cage I might consider an ackie since they are more ground based so to speak. They will climb if given the chance but prefer to dig. You could still put a timor in there but he's not gonna have much room to climb. You could give him some Retes stacks and cork bark flat stacks and that will be better than nothing though.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. scarface104n

scarface104n New Member

i don't think i should chance it, is there any monitor that would fit in that size cage i was told i could put a pair of storrs monitor but is there anything else. If nothing can you give me a list of reptile that would go great in that size cage.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Reptyle

Reptyle Embryo

A bearded dragon will be fine in a 4x2x2

12. scarface104n

scarface104n New Member

Does anyone know how fast timor monitors grow do they get full grown in a year or does it take more time. also can anyone tell me if a storr's monitor would be a better reptile for me. I read they are smaller in size then both timor and ackie monitor and if so does anyone have one.

13. Varanus99

Varanus99 New Member

Of all the dwarf species I have worked with they usually reach breeding size in 12-18 months. They may be full grown at this point or they may continue to grow for a while after that. Under good conditions they will be pretty close to their adult size at around a year. But may continue to put on some size more slowly for a year after that.

Storrs seem like neat little guys. Ive never had one myself but Ive read some good things about them. They are indeed a little smaller than ackies and timors. But not so much smaller that it makes a huge difference MHO.

I got a different kind of suggestion for ya. Rather than trying to find a reptile to fit the cage you should choose a reptile that you really, really like and then go from there. It really depends on what you like.

You mentioned timors. Timors tend to be shy and hide a lot. If that doesnt bother you and you dont mind maybe not seeing the lizard every day then get a timor. They are cool looking.

Ackies are maniacs. They are clowns. And the ones I have show almost no fear of me. Yeah they hide and burrow but spend an awful lot of time prowling about and getting into mischief. If that appeals to you get an ackie.

I dont know all that much about storrs honestly. But if you've read about them and like what you read then consider that.

But I dont think you should choose a storrs simply because its one of the smallest monitors you can get. I appreciate the fact that you dont want to put a large monitor in a small cage. Thats admirable, good on you. But in the long run you have to consider if properly taken care of these guys live a LONG time so you're better off getting what you are most interested in.

Here's something else to consider. Any of the monitors you have named can live very happily in the cage you are talking about for at least a year. A lot of people would not think twice about keeping a pair of ackies in a cage that size. Personally I like a little more room but Ive seen much worse. So you do have time to move them up to a larger enclosure if you so choose. I always start my monitors in smaller cages anyway. Just some things to consider.

Just for kicks, Ill throw out my opinion. If this is your first monitor and you have decided that a monitor of some kind is what you want I would go with an ackie. They are tried and true. Timors are cool but just a bit more advanced. Storrs I got no idea, sorry. There are other species of dwarves but as as far as availablity, ease of keeping and personality I dont think you can beat an ackie. But of course the final decision has to be yours. If they dont appeal to you then dont get one.

14. scarface104n

scarface104n New Member

Thanks for the help I'll be doing a bit more research the ackie was the one i was looking at first awhile back but when i saw the timor monitor i kind of like the way it looked kind of like a little nile monitor. The tank or should i say tanks will be done and ready for the reptiles in probably within a week. MY costume tanks are staked there wood all around excepted for the front which will be plex. There will be light fixers and heat pads. I will set everything up and then make sure the temperature and humidity are good. I'll monitor this for about a week and then oder the reptiles. one is 4x2x2 for the dwarf monitor two are 4x2x18" for one ball python and the other tank for collard lizards and a 4x2x10" for my two female leopard geckos.