To humidify or not to humidify?

Discussion in 'Treefrogs' started by Icedfire01, Sep 9, 2004.

1. Icedfire01

Icedfire01 Embryo

Hello Everyone!!

I live in South Carolina and caught a green tree frog a couple weeks ago on my pourch. I have since built a nice vivarium out of a 20 gallon tank for him. The question at hand is, I want to get a red eye treefrog for the aquarium and maybe another green tree frog. I know I probably need to humidify the tank, but what size and kind of humidifier do I need? Any suggestions would be appreciated and anything else anyone wants to through in about other things I need would be great too. I pretty much went by the care sheet for my green tree frog as I am a newbie at this. Thanks in advance!!

-Brendon

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. skitzomike

skitzomike New Member

im not sure but i don't think you should combine the different types of frogs in it, it would probably be best if you only got another green tree frog. also make sure u have a 20 gallon tall tank.

i dont have green tree frogs or plan to get them but this is all stuff i have heard repeated a billion times so i hope it helps.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

nope definately don't put different species together - *especially* amphibians and ESPECIALLY red-eyeds. red-eyeds (and all amphibians) are very sensitive to their surroundings and to other amphibians.

just keep with the green tree frog for now - they make great beginner frogs, although i must say that i really think you should release the frog you found and purchase one from a breeder or even a pet store. we need as many wild frogs as possible out there and most of the amphibian species in north america have dwindling numbers as it is. you can purchase a green tree frog for, like, $5 though. also, it may be illegal to keep wild frogs where you live. i'd highly recommend releasing the one you found an buying a frog instead.

here's my currently-under-construction green tree frog care sheet: American Green Tree Frog Care Sheet (click here!) if you spray the tank down with warm water once a day and use Coconut Fiber Bedding you shouldn't need a humidifier - especially just for an american green.

good luck!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Icedfire01

Icedfire01 Embryo

Thanks for the advice, I was wondering though in your green tree frog care sheet. It says for winter time, 2 hours of light. Is that right or did you mean 12?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

oh gosh! does it say that!? no it definately is supposed to say 12 hours of light per day during winter! i will go change that - thanks for letting me know!! :D

and good luck! :D