Tokay emergency!!!!!

Discussion in 'Tokay Geckos' started by Sobek, Jul 24, 2004.

1. Sobek

Sobek New Member

Hi!! iu really need your help, today a woman came to the pet shop where i work, trying to get rid of her tokay, but the that petshop doesnt work with reptiles, so i took it (she says that shell sell it to me for 40 bucks? is that ok?), but i took because it looks in a bad shape (think is male) and i want to take care of it, meanwhile i have it, but i think im going to take it to a reptile shelter, i think there is one in sandiego. So i really need to know everything about them, ive read somethings about them, i know the basics, but i need like advice from experiencied owners.

its a blue phase by the way.

ps. dont worry its not my first reptile so i know the basics. But i really need this fast.

ps2. i think he is amale, and he is not that agressive, is this bad? or am i really lucky?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. cd

cd Member

I don't want to give you false info, so I will let others tell you about your tokay. But I must comment on what a terrible person that woman is, (I would use stronger words, but theres kids here) for not taking care of her pet, letting it get sick, and then dumping it off instead of taking it to a vet. But what really makes me mad is SHE ACTUALLY CHARGED YOU MONEY FOR IT?!?!?!?
    Here you are, a compassionate person who is willing to help this poor creature, (that she most likely neglected,) and she makes you give her money? (I think its sweet that you were caring enough about a poor animal to actually pay just to give it a better life.) Not many would.
    I think your great!
    I'm sorry that I can be of no help, but I had to say something.
    Take care, and I hope you get great advice. :)
    -Cristine
    ps:I hope the gecko got to bite her real good at least once before she left him. (evil laugh)

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Sobek

Sobek New Member

thnx :D , hehe you are making me blush:p, actually he is not in a very bad shape, he is just a bit skinny, i just couldnt notice because it was in a very bad shaped cage:p, so it made the gecko look real bad :cry:. I tryed to put it in another cage, and he jumped and barked and tryed to bite me, good thing i was wearing gloves :wink: , i made it relax a bit and scooped it with my glove covered hand and put it in the cage, he seemed a little calmed and stayed on my hand, i had to use my other hand to get it to go in. (dont worry i was very smooth, i didnt use brute force). I kinda like him alot, i dont think he was bitting my fingers, i think he was just snapping at them.

ok about that woman, she didnt seem that bad, the thing is that she cant have animal or wont have them, and she was trying to find someone to take the gecko, although she was not responsible because anyone couldve taking it, and about she not taking him to the vet.... well (i dont know if i should say this, because i said it a couple of months ago and people stoped answering my posts, maybe im just paranoyd, o well here i go lol :) 8) ) im from mexico, i live in the border city called TIJUANA, and there arent any herp vets here, i hope to be the first :D . I went to a so called exotic vet, but i dont think he knew alot about reptiles, at least not about leopard geckos, he looked lijke he knew about snakes but thats all, so thats a bad thing, and thats why i didnt get an iguana also.
    lol Anyways!!!! :) . The thing is i dont blame her, because she is mexican, we are not bad people, just most of us are just ignorant, well not all of us, and only animalwise :wink: :) :p, i try as hard as i can not to be, and learn alot. And i love animals, and thats why im willing to pay for the gecko.

hehe... id love to chat a bit more, but i have to go to sleep. I hope you can help me with some info, (i searched and i know the basics, i just need more detayled info).

ps. Thanks alot Cristine for your words:D... you are also a great person, i read about your experience with an iguana, and its very touching 8) . take care..... oh by the way she said that the gecko bit someone in her family muahahaha :twisted: . lol.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. reako45

reako45 Member

Take a look @ www.anapsid.org/tokays for a care sheet. I think there's LLL Reptiles in Escondido (I think that's near San Diego) if you're looking for a place to take the Tokay for help. It's a pet shop, but they may be able to steer you in the direction of a good herp vet.

reako45

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Sobek

Sobek New Member

Ok thanx alot:) :)

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Sobek

Sobek New Member

OK, another question, the gecko looks skinny but he is adult (i think), should i feed him every day, or every other day?

12. hobotramp

hobotramp Member

I don't really know tokays, but I would say if it's really skinny and wants to eat every day then go for it. Give it what it will eat. I'm going on the assumption that you would treat it like a growing reptile... at the point when you feed daily to help it develop and grow... besides, it's probably better than trying to feed it a lot once every 2 days instead of a bit less, but every day.