tokay falling

Discussion in 'Tokay Geckos' started by Jacqui k, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Jacqui k

Jacqui k Embryo

We have a new Tokay and he is maybe 2 or 3 months old. He has been fine for the month we have had him, and then tonight he just fell off the side of his tank. Now he will breathe and get huffy but even when we touched him with a stick he didnt move like normal, but he did open his mouth at us. He did land on a piece of wood. I just need to know if it is common for them to fall off the sides of the tank like that??

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Wade

Wade New Member

How far did he fall?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Jacqui k

Jacqui k Embryo

I have a 20 gallon fish tank so he was around the top of it.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Jacqui k

Jacqui k Embryo

He also got a darker color right after he fell.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Wade

Wade New Member

Hmmm....I'm not well versed on Tokays...but it may just be him reflecting his mood. Not sure. However, I would bet that he is okay. A fall from a 20 gallon tank isn't very high. Just keep an eye on him and make sure he continues eating. Good luck!

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Jacqui k

Jacqui k Embryo

He started moving around right before I went to bed. Was kinda worried cuz he was staying kinda low to the ground and he never does that. Woke up a couple hours later and now he's upside down on the side of his tank again. Very happy about that. Thank you for your input on this. Oh and his color seems to be a little better too!

12. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

He was probably shedding. When they shed their skin gets loose and sometimes a much darker, and than a much lighter color before it starts peeling off. Often the gecko can go through this process in a couple of hours and it's usually at night when it happens (at least in my experience) so you hardly ever see it happen. When the skin becomes loose right before shedding they have an extremely hard time "sticking" to anything and climbing on the glass is virtually impossible. Whenever you see this happen again to aid him you might want to give his tank and extra spray to up the humidity :) Glad he's doing better!

13. tokaygirl55

tokaygirl55 New Member

It's alright! I'm a fairly new tokay owner but I can almost guarantee that he's alright. They have extremely hard bones and I've heard of one falling 100 feet and surviving. They are rainforest after all, they fall from pretty high heights. The reason he is dark and not moving MAY be because he is tired, hungry, cold, or(most likely) feels threatened. I'd go on caring for him as you normally do. As long as there's no blood or any bones sticking out I think he's fine. :)

14. tokaygirl55

tokaygirl55 New Member

Didn't read the rest of the forum sorry. Glad to know he's doing better!