Tokay gecko just laid eggs.

Discussion in 'Tokay Geckos' started by Gauzbo, Jun 5, 2005.

1. Gauzbo

Gauzbo Member

My tokay gecko just laid eggs, the male is currently guarding them, what do I do just let him guard them, or take the cave they are glued to out?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Ubi

Ubi New Member

That is awesome congratulations!!

You should take them out because Tokays have a high cannibalism rate in captivity. I'll double check this in the morning but I'm almost positive that is what it says in General Care and Maintenance of Toaky Geckos and Related Species.

Again congrats I'm so excited for you. Keep posting on the eggs progress.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Gauzbo

Gauzbo Member

I can't find a good site on tokays, around how long will it take the eggs to hatch?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. BigZ3788

BigZ3788 Well-Known Member

mostlikly several weeks i think

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Gauzbo

Gauzbo Member

I thought I read somewhere once that it was around 70 - 90 days..

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. redknee

redknee Embryo

i leave my tokay eggs where they were laid as they tend to break open easily when removed, but i stick a a cricket carton over the eggs so the adults cant get near them. when they hatch i remove the baby tokays to a smaller enclosure. :)

12. Ubi

Ubi New Member

I haven't had eggs yet so all the information I have comes from General Care and Maintenance of Tokay Geckos but it's the best I can offer.

If the eggs are stuck to something removable take them out. If they are stuck to the side of something static in the tank cover them with something like a deli cup with holes in it and remove the hatchlings as soon as they hatch. Make sure to keep them from drying out.

It takes 65-200 days to hatch if they are fertile and a temp of 80-84deg F is ideal.

13. BigZ3788

BigZ3788 Well-Known Member

any pics of your eggs would be cool.

14. Gauzbo

Gauzbo Member

o.o I thought this post was long gone. Well I just got back from 2 weeks in Michigan. The eggs haven't caved or anything, so I take it they are fertile. They were laid in a cave so I took that out and put it in a seperate cage. They are at room temperature.. my room that is, lol 80 - 85 degrees all the time, its so hard to sleep at night even with 3 fans on and the windows open or the ac on >.< it never drops below 78 degrees. My sister took my digital camera with her to Italy, but when she gets back in another month and a half I will start snapping away at everything I have. Thanks alot :)

15. tokaymaniac2

tokaymaniac2 Embryo

i have had a tokay for about a month now, and i caught her in the wild, and now have in a 55 gallon tank with bark on the bottom and a rock cave in one corner with a hugle log sticking out of it so he can climb it, and i was away from my house for a week and when i got back there were 2 eggs stuck to the side of one of the rocks so i took that rock out and put it in a 20 gallon tank with a heat rock next to it and thats it with newspaper on the bottom, is that enough for the eggs to hatch or should i do more, and does anybody know how long tokay eggs take to hatch and what should i do with them when they do hatch, any help would be awesome, thanks a lot.

16. lambrettaguy80

lambrettaguy80 New Member

I found this when i did a search on them on google its from the global gecko association.
    I found it here http://www.gekkota.com/html/gekko_gecko.html just my little contribution

17. Pebo

Pebo New Member

that's so amazing! i'd be so excited if my baby had babies! we are wanting to get a mate for her real soon. i just cant wait!! congrats!