Tokay Help?

Discussion in 'Tokay Geckos' started by tokaygirl55, Aug 12, 2013.

1. tokaygirl55

tokaygirl55 New Member

Hello, I have two wild caught tokay geckos from Florida(a male and female who get along good) . I was worried about them adjusting but the seem to be doing great and they've gained plenty of weight and they have no mites now. We got them on extremely short notice and made a great tank for them out of an old dresser. We cleaned it out, made plexiglass walls for it and everything. But lately, I've notice that there is MOLD on the bad wooden wall of the tank and part of the lid! Is there any way(that's safe for them of course) to remove this mold? I got $100 for my birthday so worst case scenario I'd buy them a glass tank(if I had enough.). I'll do anything for my babies, please help.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Cammy

Cammy ReptileBoards Addict

Did you seal the wood before setting it up as a terrarium for them? If not, the humidity will cause the wood to mold and decay. At this point it may be easiest to just buy a glass cage for them. To make the dresser cage usable you would need to temporarily house them elsewhere anyways in order to disinfect and seal the wood.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. tokaygirl55

tokaygirl55 New Member

I wiped the mold off the lid and it came right off. I was at the pet store today and checked out a glass tank for them and it was $200. I'd still have to save another $100 but until I do that I'll just keep wiping the mold of I guess... :(

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Cammy

Whoah, $200 for a glass tank...that had better be a really big, fancy, front-opening one. If you go with just a normal aquarium with a screen lid you should be able to find something within your budget.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. tokaygirl55

tokaygirl55 New Member

No. It's just a plain glass one without a lid. :( Gonna try my local Craigslist and an upcoming reptile expo. I really live in the middle of nowhere(But we have a post office! :D) so my choices are pretty limited.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Cammy

Yikes, what size were you looking at? If I'm remembering correctly I think a pair of tokays can be kept in about a 30 gallon high tank, which should not be nearly that expensive. But if there are few choices for pet supplies in the area I guess you could expect things to be overpriced. Checking craigslist is a good idea; you can often find steals on there. Reptile expos should have the same cages you see in stores for much cheaper as well, so that sounds like a good plan.

12. tokaygirl55

tokaygirl55 New Member

Ah, I was looking at a 55 gallon. They only have long tanks at the pet store I go to, but the reptile expo is in a bigger town and I'm sure they'll have some for a pretty good price.

Cammy likes this.