Tokay worries

Discussion in 'Tokay Geckos' started by Lily, May 30, 2004.

1. Lily

Lily Embryo

Hey- I have 3 Tokays currently housed in a 30T enclosure, 2 F and 1 M, or so I think. They have been together for about 4 months. For the past several weeks, I have been hearing odd noises coming from their cage late at night. Not their typical call, but screeching. I have kept an eye on them for injuries, of which I have seen none until today when I got home from work. The larger female has lacerations to her head and right above her tail. The smaller female has no marks on her, and neither does the male. As soon as she moves to a place I can see her, I will make doubly sure she is a she and not a he. If she is female, could this be part of mating? I realize that I will probably have to seperate as soon as possible, especially if she turns out to be a he. Is there a better way to tell other than checking the femoral pores? Obviously, they are not the most handleable creatures in the world.
    Also, if or when it comes to seperating, who should I take out? I'm a bit confused, because when I have heard the screeching the large female is always out and about in the enclosure, and the other 2 are behind their cork bark. I placed another piece of cork bark in the enclosure, which is where the now injured female usually hangs out. I had the male first alone, then introduced the 2 females who have been together for all of their lives. Should I remove the male, or just the injured female?
    I would greatly appreciate any help- Sorry about the length, but I'm worried! Thanks so much!
    -Lily
    PS- Is there any kind of treatment for her injuries that doesn't require handling? I don't want to stress her out even more.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. ferret_corner

ferret_corner New Member

For her injuries I would say, remove her to a hospital tank, a 10 gl, is probably fine. White papertowel substrate, rinse wounds with peroxide, one time only. Peroxide is good for cleaning the bacteria out of wounds, but it also eats brand new granulating tissue. Once she is dry you could daub her with neosporin, that will help keep germs out and semi seal the wounds.

I have also dunked anoles - CAREFULLY - into a betadine bath. And I've washed injured beardeds in a antibacterial soap bath.

I've used neosporin on all the lizards. I tried to use it on a frog. that didn't work so well.

IF you don't want to touch her very much, you could squirt rinse her with contact saline solution. That stuff is antibacterial, antifungal. It worked on my frogs. It didn't clear up any infections (they didn't develope any) and it didn't hurt them.

And while she is in the hospital tank, monitor the other two. If no problems develope, the sounds stop, you know you have solved the problem. If the noises & injuries persist, then you are going to have to do some partner swapping until you get it figured out.

Good luck!
    Sharon