tokays live in my house!!

Discussion in 'Tokay Geckos' started by PoisenDart, Jun 22, 2006.

1. PoisenDart

PoisenDart New Member

i live in florida and a 1yr.ago a tokay showed up on my wall then aboum2 weeks later i saw adults and babys all around i kept them around so they would eat the bugs and now i have a big group in my addic.i think thats pretty cool as they dont even come from the us.and i just wanted to share that with u.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. PoisenDart

PoisenDart New Member

yeah i caught one last night it was a baby i put it in a 10g andgave it some pinheads i had.i caught some adults but they wouldnt eat so i let them go to produce more.now that u said start your own business i think i should catch some lil ones and sell like crazy i would have a few extra bucks to spend.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. PoisenDart

PoisenDart New Member

theres a link some where here to what they sound like on this tokay place.i think somebody let one go as a pet and they breed.sry cant send any therre really hard to catch i got the one i was talkin about because it was eatin and i had to get a ladder.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. brendywendy

brendywendy Well-Known Member

sounds like

EHH - ERRRR

repeated over and over, forever, usually at 4 in the morning!
    thats males anyway, think females is different maybe.

thats so cool u have them in yr house,

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. nuggular

nuggular Well-Known Member

That is pretty cool PoisonDart. I know how they got there. Years ago, people were buying tokays like mad and letting them loose in there houses and apartment complexes to eat bugz and roaches. Then they just forgot about them. Looks like some took refuge in your home. NICE!!

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. PoisenDart

PoisenDart New Member

yeah they must like the temps in the house or the humidty or something.i goin to put up infered lighting in the house and nail branches in differant places.oh yeah i kinda lied about them bieng in MY HOUSE there at my bros but i go there alot so i call it my house to...lol

12. nuggular

nuggular Well-Known Member

LOL. Your gonna have alot of tokay poo all over the place. :(

13. PoisenDart

PoisenDart New Member

i thnk im goin to need a heavy duty vac.I might also put a nice little watere feature for them.but if the livein then must get water some where....prob. from rain.

14. HockeyHerper76

HockeyHerper76 Member

i read in a book that tokays are native to florida and some of the islands down there..just like some day geckos

15. PoisenDart

PoisenDart New Member

yeah theres a giant day gecko thats lives in my back yard.and theres a male across the street..lol.

16. Eirecorcaigh

Eirecorcaigh Well-Known Member

I always thought that noise sounded like somebody running a zipper up and down on a duffel bag or suitcase... My leos sometimes make a noise similar to that when I pick them up (especially the fat ones!), I mean... I only wanted to clean their cage! What the heck was I thinking???

Have fun with your new housemates... I hear a tokay in the house is good luck! :)

17. dakman

dakman New Member

Tokays are nice house guests, I usually have one or two running around loose at any given time. Their actually named by the male call, to me it sounds very much like " To Kayyyy To kayyyy,, each male has a slightly different call.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. CrimsonRegret818

CrimsonRegret818 Member

I love the coloring of the last one!! Very pretty!! You lucky duck, I'd love to have some of them in my home, but I live in Pennsylvania so I doubt that will happen. lol

19. dakman

dakman New Member

LOL, mine aren't wild but CB's I've been breeding the past 5 years or so. Babies always find a way to escape, their so small when they hatch and very fast. Some get loose during handling sessions and I've learned to not worry and chase them and just wait it out till i catch them in a month or two or three or four. They are always very healthy looking and my home bug free. If I actually don't see them i zone in to them by where they poop. Its funny to put crix in a clear deli dish with a lid and put close to where you think they are are wait it out till after dark. You start hearing a popping sound and will find the Tokay pushing the deli cup around by stricking at it with it's noise. We also leave mealies in a open deli dish in the same spot and they always disappear by the next morning. As long has they can find a warm spot they are pretty hardy.

[​IMG]

20. brendywendy

brendywendy Well-Known Member

i wanna breed Mo
    the babes look gorgeous, massive heads!

21. PoisenDart

PoisenDart New Member

i just noticed one this morning over my computer eater a moth.its pretty cool how they stock their prey!And new babys just hatched!their every where!cute tho

22. kinonai

kinonai Member

That's awesome! I want an infestation like that in my house!

23. PoisenDart

PoisenDart New Member

not really they crap every were its preety bad.but their pretty cool to watch. :shock:

24. Spot

Spot ReptileBoards Addict

Hey, PD, can you get some pics and show us? especially the babies??

25. PoisenDart

PoisenDart New Member

i would but i dont know how to post pics first of all and also i lost my usb cable to hook up the cam. to the comp....but all try l0ookin tonight to see if i could find it....i also just got three babys(dont ask how)and im goin to go to the reptile store because the owner said he was lookin for some tokays...and im askin a fair price.(15 bucks each.)