Tortoise not growing

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by Kingkier, Jan 5, 2008.

1. Kingkier

Kingkier New Member

I have 3 marginated tortoises and one of them just isn;t growing,I feed it on it's own to make sure it gets it's fair share of food.It's kept in the same condtions,it was born and bought the same time as the other 2 so any ideas why its not growing.The vet said to feed him sepearately as he may be getting bullied for food by the other 2 but still nothing.Any help will be welcome.Cheers

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Wookie

Wookie Well-Known Member

as well as food they can be bullied off of basking spots, you can try creating an additional basking spot.
    Have you had them sexed?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. strange_wings

strange_wings Member

I had the same problem with some baby box turtles last year. If you can, try separating them. Like you, I was making sure the smaller one was getting it's share of the food but I couldn't sit with them 24/7 - separating fixed the problem and the small one quickly caught up in growth.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Kingkier

Kingkier New Member

Haven't had them sexed but i'm gunna post some pics on here soon in a hope that i;ll be able to get some answers.The small one i swear has no fear he isn't worried about the other ones so i;m pretty sure he's getting his fair share of heat under the b spots but i will seriously consider separating them.Cheers guys look out for my other post on here with the pics.Any more advice is always welcome

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. strange_wings

strange_wings Member

My littlest one was ferocious :) and I would feed it extra to the side. Myself, I contribute it more to stress then lack of food. Because it has to compete for food and maybe basking spots as well -it's just not as happy.
    Enclosure setup, sex, even the individual personality of the tortoise itself could be a factor.
    Also, in the wild, these reptiles wouldn't live in such close quarters with each other.