Tree Frog Color Changes??

Discussion in 'Treefrogs' started by ExSxP, Dec 14, 2006.

1. ExSxP

ExSxP Member

Hey guys, I'm wondering if any of you can help me figure out the colorings on my whites tree frog and what they mean? I know that the colors have something to do with mood, health, heating etc. I'm just confused as to which color means which thing. I've tried looking this up many times but get too much mixed info. Please help!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Grimmy

Grimmy Embryo

Here is some info i found researching your question hope it helps.

Changing shades of colors is a normal and natural process for these frogs.
    frogs can adjust their color according to changes in light, moisture, temperature, or even mood.
    Tree frogs, for example, change color to help keep their skin cool and moist. Light colors help to reflect heat, keeping the frog cool. Darker colors on a frog absorb solar energy, which keeps the frog warmer. Color helps protect a frog from harm. A frog's color will change to match its background which helps it escape predators.
    How does the color change? The change is controlled by the frog's hormones and its nervous system, and is a result of the dark cells that frogs have scattered throughout their skin which can shrink or spread out, causing the body to look paler or darker. Although most frogs are green and brown.

There can be different causes for a frog to change color. Some change when they are excited or disturbed.
    Most tree frogs change colors to match that of their surroundings. A light tree frog that is placed onto a dark leaf will often quickly change to a dark color. Tree frogs will also change color if they are stressed. An unhealthy or stressed tree frog will remain an unnatural color for long periods of time. Extreme changes in color, for example a frog who is always mostly green turning and staying a dark brown, can indicate stress or illness, If this is the case double check everything in the tree frog's environment to ensure that the frog is being cared for properly. Light levels, temperature, humidity, and diet may also affect the color of a tree frog.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. ExSxP

ExSxP Member

wow, thanks Grimmy I can see you've really done your research :)