Trying to get a turtle aquarium set up

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by Jaki, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Jaki

Jaki Embryo

Hi, I have been interested in getting a turtle for as long as I can remember and have decided that now would be the perfect time to get one. I am trying to get everything organised for him/her but some things have me a little confused firstly the tank size. I have found one that is 4ft x 2ft x 2ft would that be adequate for a turtle to live in happily and perhaps later down the track for two? Also is that an alright size if the turtle isn't fully grown yet? Or should I be getting smaller ones and upgrading as it matures? As different sites have had different opinions on that matter.

My second problem is what sort of filter to get for the tank I have heard the Fluval is a good brand but I am unsure how many gallons/litres the tank holds so am not sure what size filter would be needed.

My third problem is the heating and lighting just all of it confuses me should I only have one place in the tank for him/her to bask or is it better to have more? I live in Australia so here it gets quite hot in summer but the temperatures can drop below 0 degrees Celsius in winter so I would need a very reliable water heater for the winter months is there any brands you could recommend? Same with the lighting?

Lastly and sorry for all the questions I just really want to get this right. Is it a good idea to take the turtle outside 2-3 times a week to get natural sunlight? Would it be ok to feed it outside or would that stress it out to much? As some sites say you shouldbt handle turtles to often and others say its perfectly ok. I thought I might just put some guppies or such in the tank with it so it could hunt along with some plants it could munch on I have also read they eat water snails and they also help keep the tank clean is that correct? And does that mean I can keep snails in the tank with it full time or should I only put them in during feeding so it doesn't over eat?

Again sorry for all the questions I've just wanted a turtle for so long and am nervous about getting its home right. Thanks for your time.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Cammy

Cammy ReptileBoards Addict

Hello!

That size aquarium would be excellent for almost any aquatic turtle all the way up through adulthood. You can keep a juvenile in a large tank like that if they are a strong enough swimmer to maneuver the deep water and catch food in an open space like that. Even if you get a hatchling or juvenile that is not a very good swimmer yet, you can always start by keeping the water level lower than normal and sectioning off a smaller area of the tank with a temporary divider.

That tank is about 120 US gallons, or a little over 450 liters. If you fill it 1/2 to 3/4 full, you'll have 60-90 gallons of water. I would go with the largest filter you can afford, and the Fluval is a great brand. The Fluval Canister 406 would be the best choice for that tank. Keep in mind that with turtles you want to "overfilter" the water. Canister filters are by far the best choice, but if you go with an internal power filter, opt for one rated for 3-4 times the amount of water it is actually filtering.

Lighting can be confusing at first, so I understand the feelings of overwhelm you are probably experiencing. In a 4' long tank, one basking site would be fine for a single turtle. Multiple basking sites are recommended for longer tanks or for tanks housing multiple turtles. Otherwise they aren't totally necessary and are just taking up water space.

For actual lighting, there are two things you really need to focus on: heat and UVB. There are two options for providing each of these things, but for your situation, I would opt for a MVB, which provides both heat and UVB in one bulb. Use a reliable brand such as the Powersun by Zoo Med. Make sure the surface of the bulb is 12" away from the basking site, and replace the bulb after a year of use, even if it is still lit up. (The UVB will have degraded too much at that point.) I don't want to overwhelm you with information, but if you want to read more about your options, check out this article: http://www.reptileboards.com/threads/uvb-basics.64396/

As far as water heaters go, while I don't know what brands are available in your area, I have had good experience with the Aqueon series. (Both the glass and the pro series.) I have found their built in thermostats to be fairly accurate and have not had problems with them overheating our tanks or causing any other issues. There are plenty of other reliable brands; the main thing I would look for is a fully submersible option with a built in thermostat so you can adjust the heat output, and look for ones with good customer feedback as well. (Amazon is a great source of reviews.)

As a side note, the wattage of the bulb and water heater you will need depends on many factors such as your house temperatures, tank size, and distance of the bulb from the basking site. I would set up your tank in advance so you have time to make adjustments with all of the equipment as needed.

Taking your turtle outside for natural sunlight is a good idea as long as you have a hardy species. Just make sure you are supervising him at all times. These are prey animals and they can be vulnerable to predators if left out in the open unattended. They are also faster than you think and can hide in the strangest nooks and crannies very easily. You also want to watch for signs of stress or overheating. There are a few turtles that would not appreciate being taken outside regularly or at all, mostly softshells or any sensitive species. However, since this will be your first turtle, I would go with a hardy species anyways and you won't need to worry about that. While turtles do not particularly enjoy being held, they can benefit from some exploration time.

You can feed your turtle outside of his tank, but it must be done in a separate tub of water. Aquatic turtles are reluctant to (or sometimes incapable of) eating on dry land. Make sure the water is the same temperature as the tank water. This is actually a common feeding method, as it cuts down significantly on the waste in the tank.

A variety of food should be offered, though what exactly that food is will depend on the species. Let me know what you are getting and I can go into more details on that.

Snails are good for a treat, and their shells provide some extra calcium. However, if given too many, the turtle may have trouble digesting their hard shells. Also, the commonly available "pest" or pond snails can potentially pass on various parasites to your turtle, although this is true of any live food and even some frozen and freeze dried. As long as you are observant of your turtle's condition, they are fine as a treat though. You probably won't have much luck getting them to clean your tank, though, as the turtles tend to snap them up before a decent population can become established.

Don't worry about asking a lot of questions--we encourage it, actually! If you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Welcome to the boards, and have fun with your new turtle friend!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Jaki

Jaki Embryo

Thanks heaps for all your help I really appreciate it and will keep you updated :)