Turnip greens?

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by xomissi, Oct 27, 2005.

1. xomissi

xomissi New Member

i can't seem to find this info...

my closest grocery stopped carrying collard greens, my igs favorite part of his meal! they now have turnip greens. are these as nutritious as collards or shall i make the extra distance to the organic store for some collards? thanks for some insight :shock:

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. mohikan22

mohikan22 New Member

always had this problem WHAT on earth is a turnip green lol?????

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. xomissi

xomissi New Member

well you know what a turnip is right? its the little red and white root? the red and white root grows under the ground and well the turnip green are the leaves that grow above the ground usually used in salads and such.

so anyone?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Kira

Kira New Member

I'm not sure on the exact nutritional content, but I do know that collard greens are very high in calcium and nutrients. Turnip is also nutritous but I think just not as high as collard. Mine eat a mixture of turnip, collard, mustard and usually escarole. Sometimes I get a bunch of endive instead of the escarole. But turnip is a staple green, so yup, it's good. But if the drive isn't too far, I'd get the collards as well as they are an excellent source of calcium.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. mohikan22

mohikan22 New Member

well thx gumbi for the basic knowledge of TURNIPS! i know what a turnip is and i also know what the green is but i was trying to figure if it was a "family" name like "collard greens" see that covers all sorts if cabbages. so i was assuming maybe turnip GREENS waS AS WELL.. see here in the uk we speak the queens english and a cabbage is a cabbage not a collard green lol.
    anyhows enough complaining.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. snitch

snitch Embryo

I'm in Palm Beach Gardens (Florida also). Publix has bags of cut and washed collard greens and turnip greens along with the other ready bags of other greens for salads. You might have that also. Check this site: http://www.greenigsociety.org/foodchart.htm

Here is what I found about turnip greens:
    Decent choice for greens. Very high in calcium, although somewhat high in oxalates and goitrogens. Best when cut into larger pieces or strips. Finely chop, shred, or discard stems. Store cut, dried pieces in plastic storage bag with other greens wrapped in paper towels. Squeeze air out of bag.
    Ca:p 4.5:1, Pro: 1.5%, Fat: 0.3%, Water: 91%, Fiber: 3.2%
    STAPLE GREEN (WHEN MIXED WITH OTHER GREENS)

And about collard greens:
    Excellent choice for greens. High in calcium and somewhat high in goitrogrens. Best when cut into larger pieces or strips. Finely chop, shred, or discard stems. Store cut, dried pieces in plastic storage bag with other greens wrapped in paper towels. Squeeze air out of bag.
    Ca:p 4.5:1 , Pro: 2.5%, Fat: 0.4%, Water: 91%, Fiber: 3.6%
    STAPLE GREEN

12. xomissi

xomissi New Member

well actually the grocery store i was talking about IS publix! i used to get their bags of prepped collards but they have turnip greens and something else in its place and collards are nowhere to be seen!. i think i will start going to sweetbay or fresh market!

also, have the g.i.s. food chart printed out and i usually take it to the grocery with me but i must have overlooked the turnip green info! i dunno how i could have done that! haha

thanks everyone or your info! much, much appreciated!