turtle and toad together?

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by 1boy1girl, Jul 6, 2007.

1. 1boy1girl

1boy1girl Embryo

A toad has moved into our box turtle habitat. We have only had the box turtle since April. (it was someone's pet and they were going to release it in the wild so we took it). Is it ok for them to live together? What do we feed the toad besides bugs? Will the turtle and toad be ok together?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. strange_wings

strange_wings Member

No, the turtle will more then likely attempt to eat the toad. Occasionally toads will sneak into my large turtle pen. I have seen my male ornate go after one before... of course ornates will attempt to eat anything that moves...

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. 1boy1girl

1boy1girl Embryo

Oh no! Really? They spent a couple nights together and they act like they don't mind each other's company. I even have a picture of them side by side. I thought they were going to be ok. I'm so glad I asked. Now to figure out how to get the toad out of there. He buries himself so I can rarely find him. We are leaving early in the morning for vacation so if I don't get him out tonight he'll probably be dead when we get back? I don't think the neighbors will take him out. They are willing to change the turtles water and feed him but they won't do any of the rest of it.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. strange_wings

strange_wings Member

The toad may or may not be ok. One easy way to get the toad to pop up is to water, or check really quick in the morning before you leave, they tend to be more active when the temperature is little cooler.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. dumerillis_1986

dumerillis_1986 Well-Known Member

Strange.. check your PM in like 5 mins.. just do it ;p heh

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. 1boy1girl

1boy1girl Embryo

We made it possible for the toad to leave on his own before we went to the beach. When we got back we didn't see him. We looked at different times of day, after rain, etc. Never saw him. We assumed that meant he left. Yesterday he reappeared (or came back). He was again in with the turtle. It is much easier to get in than out so we were again worried that he couldn't get out. We again made it possible for him to get out on his own. I guess we don't know if he is leaving when we set things up so he can easily jump out or if he is still living with the turtle. Enough time has passed now that I'm not going to worry about it either way. Thanks for the help.

Tammy

PS...I didn't get any pm's.

12. 1boy1girl

1boy1girl Embryo

Well, there are two toads in with the turtle now. The turtle doesn't seem to mind at all. They do keep the ant population down which is good.

Just thought I'd update you all. ;)

Tammy