Turtle with missing eye?

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by Mariah Spinden, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Mariah Spinden

Mariah Spinden Embryo

I am a new turtle owner, I have had them since october.
    I have two RES or other slider of some sorts one is doing well and has at least doubled in size but the other one has barely grown.
    He has had an eye that won't open since I got him. I am not sure if he is just missing an eye or if there could be something else that is wrong? Should I be worried? Is there anything that i can do? I just bought this flukers repta rinse to see if that will help. He and the other turtle are in a 2ft long tank about 10 in wide, with a filter, heat lamp and uva/uvb lamp. They eat pellats and freeze dried shrimp, worms and crickets
    any insights would be lovely, thank you
    Also I got this turtle conditioner block, is it reccomended that I use it?
    I included three pictures, the first two are of my turtle maka, it is his right eye so i have a close up of his right eye (took today) and the other is of his left eye, and the last picture is of maka and honu together (taken in december)
    bad eye.jpg good eye.jpg imagejpeg_2_2.jpg ,

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Cammy

Cammy ReptileBoards Addict

What kind of bulb are you using for heat and UVB? Be very specific, as this is very important. If you can link me to a picture of the product you are using, that would be perfect. Also, what are your temperatures in the water and at the basking spot? What kind of thermometer are you using to record those temperatures?

How has the eye been since using the eye rinse? If there is no improvement soon, that's something that should really be checked out by a vet. For it to have gone on that long is a little concerning.

Well, let me know on the lighting and temps and I will get back to you. Welcome to the boards!