Umm... Any chance? At all?

Discussion in 'Anoles' started by Camillo, Aug 20, 2002.

1. Camillo

Camillo New Member

Sheesh... Ya go and provide a nice, damp pot of vermiculite *which has, I may add, been thrice before used!* and look what happens...

For some reason, Cammy decided to lay her third fertile egg on a leaf. She then rolled it around, trying to get it off the leaf. After about three rolls, the egg finally fell about seven inches and hit the carpet. *some mother, eh?*

The egg itself seems to be intact. And yes, I know that rolling an anole egg can cause the yolk to break and suffocate the embryo. Still, is there any chance of the egg surviving? Or was it doomed from the start?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Naaah, if it was only just laid, it doesn't matter that it got rolled... it's the first 24 hours of it laying there that causes it to become attached to the side of the egg in the first place.

Just get it settled as quick as you can, and leave it. Then it should be good :)

We had one of our females rooting around in the soil digging up eggs (we initially left 'em in the tank to hatch out)...

She managed to eat one of 'em after she'd cracked it open... and rolled the others around a little... the other 4 we managed to take out and they hatched out without problem. All 4 of 'em were fine.. and they were a couple of weeks into development before she rolled 'em.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Camillo

Camillo New Member

Sweet.

That's good, because I might have accidentally rolled the second egg a bit, as I didn't see it until I had already dug through the vermiculite quite a bit. That would explain why the second one is so big and is doing so well.

I think I know why the first egg is kinda yellowish. Cammy didn't get a lot of calcium when first pregnant. I would dust the crickets weekly, but I wouldn't dust them again. After the first egg, I decided to dust the crickets WHEN I would put them in. It seems to work better, and the new eggs are bright white. I think the first egg just has a thinner shell and is thus showing the insides more easily.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Camillo

Camillo New Member

I don't know why I didn't see this before... Oy, ya can make yourself feel stupid sometimes :)

I've finally figured out the pattern: Green Anoles lay eggs about once every five days. So far, that's how it's been. Let me explain:

Egg #1: August 10
    Egg #2: August 15
    Egg #3: August 20

Hopefully, the next egg will come tomorrow. Wish me luck!

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Hmm.. that's weird... ours were laid in pairs about 2-3 weeks apart.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. hobotramp

hobotramp Member

I think my brown, Hobo, will be laying one any day now. Her first one with us was last Sunday and we've had her for almost a month now.

12. Camillo

Camillo New Member

*shrugs* I dunno. That's what I thought at first, but then she starts laying them every five days, and... *shrugs* Well, they all seem to be fine. If the babies are deformed or underdeveloped in any way *which i really, really, really hope won't happen*, then we'll know what was going on. I think it may have something to do with her age, but I have my doubts about that.

I say let's chalk it up to the unpredictability of organic bodily systems.