Unactive Green Anole

Discussion in 'Anoles' started by burningwillow, Aug 25, 2008.

1. burningwillow

burningwillow Embryo

I am new with reptiles and thought anoles are a good place to start. I got my first anole, Zephyr, yesterday from a pet store (I know the best place to buy them but better than most places) she is pretty thin (you can see her ribs) but is eating fine and seems alert and healthy but hasn't been very active and has been brown for a couple of hours now. She has just been just resting and basking and not much else. I have noticed that the temperature has dropped a little. Could it just be the tempeature is too low, or she is still getting over the stress of moving, has anyone else had this happen?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. justkev

justkev Hi :) Staff Member

what is the current temp?

Just make sure you provide plenty of climbing and hiding areas.. if it is already eating thats great.. just give it some time to settle in.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. burningwillow

burningwillow Embryo

the current temp is around 87 degrees fahrenhiet and a little higher in the basking area. It's around 85% humidity and has climbing area and hiding places but half the time she is basking on the ground.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. justkev

it would be rare for a green anole to bask on the ground.. lower the overall temp a bit and see if that changes where it basks. how large is the cage you have it in?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. burningwillow

burningwillow Embryo

It's a ten gallon. Zephry started basking on the plants now and isn't brown any more. I got some wax worms today because I heard that they are high in fat and Zephyr is pretty thin. The wax worms look to big for her so do you know if I could cut them in half?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. justkev

in a ten gallion.. it is more difficult to provide temperature zones... it may be best to use a smaller wattage spot type bulb and allow the lizard to bask close enough to the bulb to provide a decent gradient.

most green anoles by the time they end up in a pet store are pretty thin.. just make sure you mist the tank a few times a day to provide water. They usually eat by sight.. so giving it a dead wax worm may not work. small crickets, small (safe)caterpillars, flies and such would probably work best.

you say it is thin.. can you see depressions between its hip bones or is its tail visibly thin?

12. burningwillow

burningwillow Embryo

You can see small depressions between its hip bones and her tail is thin. She is eating fine, I feed her two crickets earlier and another recently and she is still hungry. She is a juvinial so it's normal for her to be hungry, isn't it?

13. justkev

you could even try offering more than 3 crickets a day... the depressions should fill back out once the lizard becomes better hydrated and has a few more meals.

14. burningwillow

burningwillow Embryo

Yesterday I fed her four, two in the morning, one in the afternoon, and another later in the afternoon. I think I will continue doing that.

Thanks for the help!

15. Cheyzer

Cheyzer Embryo

Well if she is eating and is still brown she either could be sick or still getting used to her surroundings. give her a week. You should have her tank full of hiding spots to make her comfortable. Mine was brown for the first couple of days, and he turned out fine. dont worry, like i said give it a little while and hope for the best.Try not to over feed her too. I would stay with 3 crickets and a wax or meal worm every 2 days but because she is so skinny you might want to continue what your doing till she looks healthy.