unhappy with vet

Discussion in 'General Snakes' started by jflizi1458, May 14, 2009.

1. jflizi1458

jflizi1458 New Member

So there are not very many vets in the area willing to treat reptiles...only 1 I know of. We were concerned about our ball python's wheezing so we took him to the vet!
    The vet did not run any tests, did not do anything but look in the mouth, listen with his stethoscope, and weighed him. He didn't ask me about husbandry, age, sex or weather he was eating. I tried to talk to him about all of this but he didn't seem to care.
    He said that he heard the wheezing and he prescribed Amikacin. He said he seemed dehydrated and to soak him more often.

I read that "Amikacin should be used only to treat or prevent infections that are proven or strongly suspected to be caused by bacteria." I also read that it can cause renal problems and that "If you are to use Amikacin, soak the animal in warm water every couple days to prevent a toxic build up within the kidneys, etc."

He gave me syringes and told me to inject him in the lower back muscle every three days... He didn't say if i needed to try and get between scales or alternate sides. Do any of you know more about this? Any advice would be useful, I've never had to treat a snake before.

I'm really unhappy with the way the vet visit turned out...

Attached Files:

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. jflizi1458

jflizi1458 New Member

In case this helps here's
    A little history on the snake:

We have had the bp a month, somebody we met buying rats at a pet shop gave him to us.(said he was moving and needed to find him a home) The snake ate a small rat the day he gave him to us and has refused since then to eat. He is about 4' long and weighs 2 lbs. The previous owner was keeping him in a wooden and mesh enclosure with pine shavings, about 4 heat rocks, and a red light inside the tank! No skin damage was apparent! We immediately switched him into a 35 gallon glass aquarium with a screen top. Partially covered to help hold in humidity... ceiling fan is on in the room to try and help circulation. There is newspaper on floor. He has a large water bowl with a rock in it (had a bp drown once so we don't like to let them sit all the way in the bowl) we clean this often. Most of the floor space has a large tree bark cover to make him feel more secure (piece covers at least half the tank and is held up by rocks) he hides under it most of the time. Tank is heated by a 150 watt night bulb that is always on (he seems to move from warm side to cool side when he needs to) plus he is in a room that gets plenty of natural light so he should be able to tell what time of the day it is. We always keep the temps 90 on the hot side and 80 on the cool side. The humidity is generally 50-55% sometimes it drops when the water bowl needs to be refilled. I spot clean the tank daily and fully clean it weekly with a mild bleach solution.
    He has gone to the bathroom a few times.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Shanna66

Shanna66 Well-Known Member

if you are unhappy with your vet you may need to drive to another city to see a good one. ive had the same issues with vets and my rats. one of them lost alot of weight and had really smell and runny poops and the vet just listened to his breathing and said it was a respitory issue, no other tests. im switching rat vets since there is a good one just an hour away.

i do find it a bit odd that he wants you to give the shots yourself. the herp vet i go to demands to do all the shots himself. though i will admit ive only ever gone to 2 herp vets in my life so im not sure on normal shot giving practices

im not sure about other ball pythons but mine needs a slightly higher humidity than most, i usually keep her around 70% humidity. if i dont she has bad sheds and her skin gets irritated

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. jflizi1458

jflizi1458 New Member

Thanks for the advice... I will see if I can find a herp vet... all the vets I've called told me to try this place up the road called Reptiland...but its more of an attraction than an actual place that will help you

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. bruno

bruno Moderator

Hi,
    Sorry I'm late coming to this one.
    Firstly DO NOT USE THAT ANIT-BIOTIC until you have consulted another vet, it has a lot of side effects.
    I would suggest you contact Reptiland, they will know of a herp vet, due to the nature of their business.
    Have a good at these two sites.
    herpvet connection

Unfortunately this one wont load just now but theres the URL
    www.arav.org

Your setup sounds ok

If you do have to inject yourself the vet should have shown you by giving the first one himself.
    It should be between the scales and into the thick muscle at either side of backbone. The area should be swabbed with an sterile antiseptic swab, before and after injection. The needle should not penetrate more than 1/4 inch and should be injected slowly, at an angle of about 30 degrees from body, not upright. Will take 2 people, one to hold snake generally and you hold site of entry. Covering the snakes head and most of body will help reduce the wriggling. It should also be in alternate sides.

Sorry I cant be of more help right now.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. jeffg46

jeffg46 New Member

I'm no expert in this area, but I'd say the wheezing was caused by the pine substrate to begin with. Having the snake on newspaper is smart. I don't know if simply getting the animal off the pine will allow things to run their course, but that should be asked of a good vet. If it's at the infection point, maybe not. Also, with the issues breathing, a good humidity level is important. Dry air will irritate the lungs. Do not let the air get too humid though. This is not a case of is some is good more is better. Too much can worsen the infection, assuming that is what it is, too.

Good luck.

Jeff

12. jflizi1458

jflizi1458 New Member

Thanks guys... I'll let you know how things go