Update on Jade..

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by lipsticksmears, Jun 13, 2006.

1. lipsticksmears

lipsticksmears Embryo

I was able to get Jade a powder-form of calcium supplement, which I mix in with her assortment of food(lately i have made sure her diet is strictly dark greens, with a strawberry or banana treat once or twice a week), and for a few days it seemed she was getting a LOT better. Even her color was brighter, and she had gained weight. At the moment she is shedding right now, and I've noticed that her activity has dropped again. She seems weaker, and basks more than she does anything else. What is strange, is that for the past week, everytime I get up at 9 am to feed her and clean out her cage, she doesn't actually EAT the food until late evening, or night. Unfortunately I'm unable to take her to a vet right now--I don't have a job, and my parents barely have enough money to get us groceries for a few weeks, much less pay for an expensive veterinary bill. Any other time we would be able to. I feel it's my fault for taking on the care of the lizard, though I was unaware of the financial problems we had--I'm really not sure Jade is going to make it..:)

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

Her basking a lot and not eating until evening is not a sign she's going to die. If she's eating, gaining weight, active enough to climb around her cage and get to her food/water, etc, then she's doing well. Just feed her later, since that seems to be her preferred schedule so the greens and fruit are fresher. Igs bask for hours and hours. It's a good thing. They aren't active and climbing all day. So unless you notice her unable to move, feed herself, losing weight, etc, then chances are good that she's doing ok. From what you've written here anyways, she doesn't sound like she's in a bad way.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. EndVision

EndVision New Member

my ig doesnt eat right away either..s/he waits til a little later on in the day to dig in so dont worry bout that just as long as jade is eating its fine like biochic said if jade is moving about and gaining weight you have nothing to worry about, if you notice a decline in appetite and activity then you need to worry..getting the powder supplement was a GREAT idea what else do you feed jade? you should try mixing things up a bit rather then JUST greens and a little fruit you can mix in more veggies such as squash,turnips,green beans..my little Yaz gets collards,butternut squash,green beans,and turnips all chopped up and mixed together for something to eat...just a thought to give your ig some variety and its all very cheap...for a week supply of the greens,squash,green beans,and turnips it only costs me about 3-4 dollars,but all in all it sounds like your doing a good job with jade...but i dont think you need a vet visit so dont worry :wink: