update on sick yemen chameleon

Discussion in 'Chameleons' started by cuillan, May 16, 2009.

1. cuillan

cuillan Embryo

Thanks everyone for your help in the post help injured chameleon. We took him to a vet who is a chameleon expert he had a leg injury which was severly infected the puss was making the knee joint and forearm swollen. Luckily it hasn't gone to his bone. after a swab which showed a huge amount of bacteria, he was put on antibiotics and iodine to clean the wound.

We have a follow up appointment coming up so fingers crossed

Thanks again all

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. bruno

bruno Moderator

At least you know what you are dealing with now.
    The fact the bone is not affected sounds a good thing.
    He should make a full recovery with the treatment.
    Next visit to vet ask them about the use of pro-biotics, such as Avipro, antibiotics kill the good bacteria as well as bad and it may upset the balance of gut flora.
    Chams being fairly delicate animals may be affected more when antibiotics are used.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Heika

Heika Moderator

Glad to hear you took him to the vet. Bruno is right.. antibiotics for a cham is a big deal. Make sure you are keeping him ultra hydrated right now. Is he still eating? If not, you might want to look into picking up some Insectivore Repta-aid for force feeding. A lot of sick chams go off food for a while, and although I personally don't care for most of Fluker's products for use with chameleons, this stuff has saved the life of a few of my chams. If you do need to force feed, be easy about it.. get his mouth open, and slowly drip the mixture, with lots of pauses for him to swallow, into the front of his mouth. Otherwise, he could aspirate.. and then you really have a mess going on.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. cuillan

cuillan Embryo

hi Guys,

He needs another 5 days course of antibiotics but seems a lot happier he is wating loads and loads, (he had been a bit underweight) and is on the move a lot more actually hunting so seems a lot better in himself

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. bruno

bruno Moderator

This is great news, glad he's feeling better.
    As more antibiotics are being given, I would seriously think about using Avipro, the probiotic powder, AVIPRO link.
    If you use a dripper it could be added to that for a couple of days. Read the reviews on that site, they all praise it highly. I'm sure this would help him a lot.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Heika

Heika Moderator

So glad to hear he is doing much better!

12. teiryklav

teiryklav Member

:D great ! :D