Uro enclosures

Discussion in 'Uromastyx' started by cameron1, Sep 18, 2005.

1. cameron1

cameron1 New Member

Hey, i'm setting up a enclosure for a new uro that im going to get and was just wondering if you all could post pics of your uro's enclosures, if you could that would be great. thanks in advance
    cameron

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. faunafan

faunafan Embryo

i cant take pics but i can tell u what u need!
    i use calci sand for the substrate
    i put a large peice of slate rock for the basking area
    i use a cave for his den
    i use a 75 gallon cage

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. wideglide

wideglide Well-Known Member

Never use calcisand for anything as it causes many, many deaths to many, many reptiles all the time. Seriously, it's been proven to be a horrible, horrible product. If you must use sand I'd use washed play sand and that's it.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. cameron1

cameron1 New Member

i know what i need and i know not to use calci-sand. this isnt my first lizard, i just wanted to see how some people set up there cages.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. wideglide

Sorry cameron1 it's just a rule of mine when I see anyone promote or indicate they use that death sand I try to make sure anyone who reads it knows not to use it including the original poster. Hopefully you'll get some pics soon. :)

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. faunafan

faunafan Embryo

i dont have calcisand in my cage but i forgot the brand name and had seen that in a lot of pet stores

12. wideglide

Yeah most substrates manufactured specifically for reptiles really do nothing but harm them. There is no regulation on it and mfgrs. can pretty much do what they want to. Calcium based substrates and crushed walnut shells are the substrates that are notorious for killing animals.

13. faunafan

faunafan Embryo

0o0o0 thnx for the info!

14. wideglide

Glad I could help!! :)

15. ReptileCrazy

ReptileCrazy Well-Known Member

I went to a pet store today..and was actually expecting good things. It was a store run by a reptile distributor (NERD) so i thought they would know what they were doing...

but anyway, they had their beardies and uros an calci sand. and not only that, the uros had bird seed scattered through their tank and they were running around eating the seed out of the sand, and eating tons of sand at the same time! I was so infuriated!

16. unclemike

unclemike New Member

17. wideglide

Nice looking setup. ReptileCrazy that really surprises me about that store. You may want to go to their (NERD) site and send them an email about that and see what they say. Something definitely not right there.

18. wormiebj

wormiebj New Member

i like the jack jack toy in that pic. jk lol great cage is that in the wall?