uro in trouble

Discussion in 'Uromastyx' started by Gomez' mom, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Gomez' mom

Gomez' mom Embryo

I work in a pet store and have taken on a young uro named Gomez. His prier owner had this guy given to her and had no idea how to care for it and was wanting the store to take him but we didn't have room so I took him. I've cared for healthy adults in the store and wanted to get it into better conditions quickly to give him a chance.

The prier owner said he wasn't eating (she was only offering crickets!) and had no heat source other than sitting him in the window and her cat would frequently visit his topless cage scareing him but not chasing him.

I have not yet made him a larger cage but am working on it. I've offered him a spring mix, with dandelion leaves, plus bird seed, but he has only barley sampled the seed with no interest in the veggies, i soaked him daily the first two days to try and hydrate him, he actually seemed to enjoy the warm water! But no more soaking after the research I've done on line. He took some laps of the supplement/appetite stimulant I've been trying to give him, but i don't want to force him to do anything seeing how he is already very stressed. I have had him three days now and have yet to see any poo. I plan on checking him for parasites but cant get the sample until he produces one.

I am sure he is impacted and would like to know anything i can do to help. Yes he does have uvb lighting and i tried to give him liquid uvb the first day but he would not drink it. Please help!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Nessi

Nessi Member

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Sunstar

Sunstar Embryo

Hi,

From experience-- he may not poop right away. Especially being in a new environment. Make him as comfortable as possible. Offer a hiding spot or two if you have the room. One on the hot side and one on the cooler side. I use slat rock and tiles to build a shelter under the heat source, plus he can bask on the top. Make sure the temps are about 130 on the top of the rocks (being elevated will change the basking temp). Keeping him warm and cozy should help and keep offering veggies. Try peas or bok choy once a week for something different.

Good luck with your new pal!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Gomez' mom

Gomez' mom Embryo

Update: Gomez had a BM! He seems much happier in his new environment but still isn't eating the veggies. One step at a time I guess.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. justkev

justkev Hi :) Staff Member

just give him a few days. uros dont have a buffet of spring mix, seeds and water naturally.. and to force it in captivity is asking for problems.

research their location and use weather.com and other sites to actually get a good idea of his natural environment... match that.

If you want great info from someone actually working professionally.. contact Lindsay Pike at http://www.urotopia.com/

He breeds many species of uromastyx.. and has already seen and dealt with most of the issues that you might encounter.

Hope that helps.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Nines

Nines Member

Douglas Dix at deerfernfams.com has great care sheets