uro questions

Discussion in 'Uromastyx' started by dale1, Mar 1, 2010.

1. dale1

dale1 Embryo

ok i have a little uro. he is about 7 inchs from head to tail. he is fed fresh greens everyday. he has a 125 watt MVB and a 100 watt heat bulb. his basking spot gets up to 112 F. for the last 5 days or so he has not been coming out to bask. he stays in one of his hides. my adult uro has the same setup and she is out all the time and active. i dont have a camera so i cant get a pic but i cant think of what is wrong with him. any help would be great!

dale

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. MRanderson

MRanderson Embryo

I had the exact same thing happen with my beardies...one of them would hang out in it's hide fore weeks at a time while the other would appear normal...in my case the key was brumation, its a hibernation period that can last to months in some cases...not every lizard does it...you can do more research on it, but there's not much you can do until he snaps out of it...I heard on another forum some people raise their temperatures, but in other places it says to allow it considering its a natural cycle

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Crawlermastyx

Crawlermastyx Embryo

I have a Eqyption Uro,...shes about a foot long, head to tail...she has bin doin the same....hidin out, and not eatin for the last couple days....possible burmation.....she was eatin and basking jus fine.....hope shes ok!

To the OP:Hope youe Mali is ok aswell!....good luck, keep us posted!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. dale1

dale1 Embryo

well i saw him about two days ago. he did eat alittle something. he is still hiding out. i hope he is ok.

dale

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. MRanderson

MRanderson Embryo

Ya I would just check on him every so often...maybe once or twice a week at the most...I wouldn't worry about it, as long as he doesn't get super bony and lethargic he's fine...It is a colder time of year right now and the temp decrease would cause slower digestion due to their cold blooded trait so if they don't eat much it's alright...if you still are getting worried maybe try bumping up and regulating the temperatures...the day time probably isn't that bad but the nights could be dreadful...make sure you got at least a 100-125 watt non-basking bulb for night time depending on cage material and size...glass will hold heat better than other mediums, wood holds heat good as well