Uromastyix

Discussion in 'Uromastyx' started by kai_lynn, Sep 14, 2006.

1. kai_lynn

kai_lynn Embryo

Hi,

Im new here, and I just had a few questions on the Uromastyx Lizard. We've always had Tarantulas, but not many reptiles. The only experience with them came in the form of a Savanna Moniter.

We have recently been introduced the Uromastyx. We were very pleased with it but still had few questions, like what sex to get as a pet, and how much maintnance do they require and what species stays the smallest?

If someone got back to me on these questions it would be highly appreciated!

Thanks~Kai

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. jayhay

jayhay Embryo

Mali's stay the smallest. Sex doesn't matter at all, but females do tend to stay smaller.
    They are not a beginner reptile at all. They requre UV lighting as well as a high temp basking spot. They eat no insects, but need special salads made every day with a mix of specific veges.

They are really funny lizards with lots of character, but they are more of a look don't touch pet as they need to stay at high temps, and can be grumpy.

For a good caresheet, go to www.deerfernfarms.com

Read the sheet on this site, and if you have any more questions, ask away :)

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. djsmama02

djsmama02 Embryo

I have a Mali and also feel the same as Jenns post, I do feel they are pretty low maintnance. My mali seems to love spring mix salad available at any supermarket,lima beans and mixed veggies .All pretty much of the time less then 3 dollars and as a treat you can try dry iguana food he seems to enjoy it occasionaly.Hope you chooseto get one good luck

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. jayhay

jayhay Embryo

Re: RE: Uromastyix

This is not how I feel at all :( lol

Actually, I would call a uro a high maintenance reptile, and that is why I stated that they are not beginner reptiles. The spring mix salad mentioned above is not a good staple for uros, as it usually contains spinage, which is not good for them at all. A uro's basic diet should consist of bok choy, curley endive, dandelion greens, mustard greens, and then other veges added at different times to mix it up (butternut squash, beans, radicchio, etc). These are all fairly expensive veges, and not the kind that you would normally in your fridge. Most lettuces are not suitable, as they do not have the nutrients that these above mentioned greens do.

Lighting is complicated, as you need a basking spot that is 115-130 in addition to UV lighting. This is expensive to maintain, as most UV light need to be changed every 6 months.

The enclosure needs to be as big as you can manage, with a 40g being the min, but even this is too small. A 75g is best.

These guys need supplements added to their food (no water dish at all, this can lead to tail rot) and in addition, they do well with a dish of millet seed, lentils, split peas, and bee pollen.

I love my uro, but I rescued him after he was not cared for correctly for nearly 4 years. Many people get uros b/c they think they are easy to care for, but in fact, to have a healthy happy uro that will live a long and painless life, it is expensive, and takes a lot of work. This work is worth it in my opinion, but many people do not want to put this time and money in for a reptile that isn't all that friendly.

Again, I am not saying that uros are not good reptiles. I am just giving you the facts. I think that they make great pets, and they can be very rewarding, but too many people do not provide them with the proper diet or lighting, let alone a large enough enclosure. This was Moe's (my uro)situation. I commend anybody who does their research first before buying a reptile! This is how you avoid the situation I mentioned above :)

Like I said, read that care sheet, and then ask if you have any other questions. These guys probably have one of the most original personalties out of all the reptiles I have worked with! Like I said, they are worth the work in my opinion :)