Uromastyx and Bearded Dragons Together?

Discussion in 'Uromastyx' started by summit_queen, Apr 13, 2005.

?

Which are funner, Uromastyx or Bearded Dragons?

1. *

Bearded Dragons

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. *

Uromastyx

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. summit_queen

summit_queen Embryo

I have been wanting to get an Uromastyx but I have two Bearded Dragons, a male and a female, right now as it is. I wouldn't keep them in the same enclosure but I'm wondering how they get along in general. Could I let them run around together and not worry about one harming the other? If you know please let me know ;)

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

I would keep them separate...period. You never know how aggressive they may be toward one another. Especially with a male and female BD...the male may be aggresive towards the uro. PLus there is the threat of disease transfer. Just keep them apart at all times.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. bub

bub New Member

i wouldnt keep them together because my cousin has a bearded dragon and it can get pretty territorial.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. YourMainParadox

YourMainParadox Embryo

I currently have 3 Bearded dragons and two uro's in one huge enclosure. They get along perfectly and never get in a fight..... The only problem I am having is that one of my uros is not eating or moving unless you pick her up... she just lays there 24/7 never moving. (recently adopted due to this fact).

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. nomad85

nomad85 Member

ieee dont house more than one species in one enclosure, they need different basking temps and humidity... This may be part of why your uro isnt eating.. I wouldnt even house more than one beardie together. How huge is the enclosure. They may seem to get along, but they are likely very stressed, by all the other animals...

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. CricketFood

CricketFood New Member

They should never be introduced. Besides the difference in husbandry, beardies usualy carry coccidia as part of their natural gut flora. Because of the geographic range uros are from, they have no immunity resistance to coccida which can easily turn into a fatal parasite infection when stress (from improper husbandry conditions and sharing a cage with another more agressive species) is factored in. Another thing to consider is the behavior of the two species. Dragons will bite at the tail base in territorial or other types of agressive behavior, while uros bite at the flanks. This creates a risk to the dragon being blinded by the spiny tail or the dragon being killed from ruptured organs sustained from a uro's bite. Either way, it's a no win situation for the animals.

Ronnie

12. summit_queen

summit_queen Embryo

New ?'s

I wouldn't be keeping them in the same cage ever. I just saw a red Uro and fell in love. What size of enclosure would I need to keep an adult in? I know they don't get as big as beardies. There skin also seems soft like the collared lizard I caught two months ago. I also just bought a 65 gal reptarium for my two beardies. Can't wait till it get's here. I also ordered a 100 w Mercury Vapor light, can anyone endulge on those for me? It's one with UVB, UVA and Heat.

13. nomad85

nomad85 Member

mvb's need to be at least 1 foot away from the basking site, I like to use an mvb ina seperate "uvb" area and a normal household bulb for my basking spot, that way i can make it closer to the light and get the right temps without overexposure to UVB. good luck

14. dmjr

dmjr Embryo

not good to have differnt species together

15. mgraphix

mgraphix Embryo

Don't Do it - I learned the bad way

So I did have 2 beardeds and 2 uros together for 6 months. The beardeds grew up with the 2 uros. Then I moved them to a really big cage and the male bearded attacked and killed my one uro, completely out of the blue. He was just defending one of the caves he liked but still I lost a uro for no reason. So don't do it!

16. hairlikeafox

hairlikeafox New Member

Red Uros have a temperment to them I'd be careful.. Beardies like their space and Red Uros have a temper, You be the judge

17. SpLiT

SpLiT New Member

Def. a No No. The difference of basking temps are way different. im not very much about uros but i know that the basking temps are like 20 degrees hotter that bd because mali uros. love the heat. Also i would be afraid of getting one of the reptiles sick becuase of the other.

18. Uro_wraith

Uro_wraith New Member

Since no one mentioned it yet I will... Beardies have a normal gut flora with crocodillia. Uro do not have this in the gut flora. Uro are not subjected to crocodillia in the wild and are not made to protect against it. Thus if you keep beardies and Uro's together the crocodillia from the beardies will enevtually kill the Uro's. Unless you are a hypocondriacte and are cleaning the enclosure every time the move. Also as mentioned above the basking temp for Uro's is 120 degrees F. I am not exactly sure what the ideal temp for beardies is but I think its about 95 degrees F. Correct me if I am wrong on the beardie temp. They are both need there own space. As it is you don't keep Uro's together, they are not a sharing lizard. The space they have is there's and that is that...mine..mine...mine...mine. They do not play well with others. As far as the temper of red Saharan's or red Nigers as they are also called. It depends on the individual lizard, mine is very laid back and calm. My Mali is hyper and loves to sink her claws into your hands. They are as individual as we are when it comes to temper.