Uromastyx not eating

Discussion in 'Uromastyx' started by Uromastyx_Egyptian, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Uromastyx_Egyptian

Uromastyx_Egyptian Embryo

My egyptian Uromastyx will not eat ANYTHING EXCEPT baby food i spread on his lips. I think he'll eat a bearded dragon pellot but baby food only thing u know he'll eat. help me get him to eat greens again. :D

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. jayhay

jayhay Well-Known Member

One good trick is peas. They love peas (the frozen kind - just heat them up and mash them). Every time Moe goes off his green, I start spreading some mashed peas on his food. It usually does the trick!

Otherwise, it could be husbandry related. What is his cage like and how big is it? How old is the uro? WC? size? What diet do you have him on? What are his temps and how are you measuring them? What lighting and UV source are you using?

If you answer some of these questions, we may be better able to help you :D

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Uromastyx_Egyptian

The cage is 30 gallon i think. Uro is 2 1/2 i think. WC? I think his size is about 8 inch I had him on a diet of meal worms and lettuce. his temp is 90 Day and night 70. And idk what lighting. im only 11 but a caring owner for my pet :)

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. jayhay

jayhay Well-Known Member

Firstly, he needs a basking spot that is at least 115 degrees. Some uros bask up to 130. At 90, he is not gettng enough heat to digest his food. Second, that tank is way to small if it in indeed a 30g? By 2 1/2, do you feed 2 and a half feet? A 30 gallon is about that in lenght. Could you give us the measurements of the tank itself? Keep in mind that uros need a temp gradient - that mean that the basking spot should be in the 120s, but the other side of the tank should be much cooler (low 80s) so that he can thermoregulate.

In terms of diet, uros are veggie eaters, they do not need insects. Lettuce is not a good food to be offering, it is basically just water. You want to offer your uro a fresh salad every day consisting of bok choy, dandelion greens, curly endive, and other greens. You can mix it up, but these three things should also be the staple.

Lighting: What type of bulbs? Do you have proper UV bulbs and if so what type are they?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Uromastyx_Egyptian

I dont know what type i got to ask my mom :/ but thx appairantly im a bad owner. but i have no other lights for him :)