Uros and Bearded ??

Discussion in 'Uromastyx' started by willowmax, Oct 27, 2005.

1. willowmax

willowmax Embryo

What are the opinions on keeping a uro and bearded together in a 75 gallon desert set-up. We are talking small at this point.

Thanks

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Janice

Janice ReptileBoards Addict

different species should not be kept together. Uros require a much higher basking temperature than beardies.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. huhwhat

huhwhat New Member

Theoretically, if you had a large enough enclosure, say your entire livingroom, you could provide the proper temps, etc. for both species. Other than that, not a good idea.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. unclemike

unclemike New Member

The options are....none.

Two completely different critters.
    Just because there care is fairly close it is a very bad idea. Uros require temps that can be harmful to bds. Also you could end up with a blind dragon from the Uros tail or a bit uro.
    BDs and uros have resistance to completely different diseases. I am convinced (although I can't prove it) that my first uro died from a neurological disease caught from his prior owner keeping him in with a BD for a couple weeks. The BD from what I heard had some similar symptoms but pulled through.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Pinecone

Pinecone New Member

I have to say unclemike's got a SERIOUS point there...they are two COMPLETELY different animals...