Uros and Turtles/Tortoises..

Discussion in 'Uromastyx' started by kimi21, Jul 5, 2005.

1. kimi21

kimi21 Embryo

Hi Everyone.. I'm new here. My name's Kimi. I have a ton of pets, including my lizards: a Bearded Dragon, two Sudan Plated Lizards, a Leopard Gecko, and a Basilisk.. But this question is for my friend. She has a Mali Uro, and she wanted to know if either a turtle or tortoise could get along with it? If anyone has any information on this, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. nomad85

nomad85 Member

I wouldnt keep two species of reptile in the same set up. They might get along, but they could also make each other sick, in my expirience turtles are very dirty animals. and their natural bacteria might hurt the uro or vice versa.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Uro_wraith

Uro_wraith New Member

As nomad said they might get along together, they might not. The problem is not so much temper as it is parasites and bacteria. Different species have different gut flora. So what it natural and normal to one may be deadly to another. The animals in the wild have a slim chance of coming into contact with other bacteria because of the large open area's they live in. In captivity the area is small and bacteria and parasites build. What may be fine is small exposures has now become a constant re-occurance. Which maybe detramental to either one.